Womens rugby club begins spring season
The Marshall University rugby club will start its spring season this weekend by traveling to Savannah, Ga.
The team participates in tournaments during the spring season, playing in tournaments at universities like Kentucky, Virginia Tech, Florida State and Wisconsin. They will also play a game against alumni at the end of the season.
Senior Shea Wolford said she was excited to start the season.
I have mixed emotions because this is my last semester playing rugby for Marshall, Wolford said. But I am excited for the season to begin.
Junior Savannah Keller said she was just excited for tournaments to start.
Tournaments are the most fun events of the year, Keller said. I hope we do well in tournaments and just have a fun season. Our spring season is for growing as a team and having a blast, so thats what we plan on doing.
The team has been practicing for the spring season by focusing on the basics to lead them to victory. Wolford said she hopes the team can remain unified and remember the basics they have been taught.
You can have all the fancy plays you want, Wolford said. But if you do not do the basics correctly, you will fail. Weve been going over pods off of a ruck to power our way through the other teams defense.
Club Coach Kaitlin Bedekovich has been teaching strategies she hopes the team will utilize.
The Savannah Shamrocks Rugby Club is hosting the St. Patricks Day rugby tournament. The tournament welcomes over 75 teams from all over the country every year, and is one of the biggest tournaments in the United States.
Keller said she has hopes for the team this weekend.
I hope we get out there and play well. I think we have an awesome assortment of girls this season and this is our first chance to see how it all will come together, Keller said. I would like to see myself slow down and concentrate, and over all improve over the season.
Keller said she hopes to learn good strategies from the other teams this weekend so the team can use them in their next games.
Hopefully some of them will be playing in our next tournament, Keller said. That way we can work out strategies to play their weaknesses.
Last year, the team came in second place in the Savannah tournament, only losing to one team. The team hopes to see the same thing this year.
The team will leave Friday and travel over eight hours. They have rented a passenger van and will also take an extra car. They will stay in a hotel Friday and Saturday, and travel back to Marshall, Sunday. The girls will pay for all the expenses.
The Savannah Shamrocks give a portion of the money made at the tournament to charities each year.
Courtney Sealey can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses