Womens lacrosse starts season this weekend
The Marshall University womens lacrosse will kick off its season as they travel to the University of Kentucky for a weekend tournament.
The team will leave Huntington and travel to Lexington to take on Marquette, Ball State and Ohio University on Saturday, and will play the University of Cincinnati on Sunday in their first tournament. The lacrosse team is part of the Womens Collegiate Lacrosse Leagues division 2, south subdivision.
Team member Marianna Taylor, a secondary Spanish education junior, said she had mixed emotions about playing her first game in three years.
Its a mixture of nervousness and excitement, she said. I am nervous because I am not sure how the games are going to go and I am excited to finally have our first game coming up.
Team members have been doing all they can to prepare for the game, including ground balls, catching and throwing, scrimmaging and teaching new girls the rules and regulations.
Taylor said she hopes this will not only help them in this tournament, but for the rest of the season as well.
Many of the girls on the team have never played a lacrosse game and do not know what to expect. Taylor said she feels like it will be a great experience for them.
Although a lot of the girls have not played, I believe all the girls will play their best and take notes for what is ahead for the games throughout the rest of our season, Taylor said.
Team captain Sarah Conners, a broadcast journalism major, was part of the lacrosse team last year, which saw little success.
I am really excited for this tournament. After trying to start the team last year with little success it feels good to have my girls behind me going to UK to play together, Conners said. We finally have officially done this and were finally playing.
Conners said she was most excited to play Cincinnati on Sunday.
Its where I am from and where I learned to play, Conners said. I know a couple girls on the team from high school, so it should be interesting to have my old teammates as opponents.
Conners said she feels communication is key in all the victories this weekend.
Sophomore medical imaging major Casey Baker said she thinks Saturday will be exhausting for the team.
Its going to be tough playing three games in one day, Baker said. I know we will be exhausted by the end of the day, but our game Sunday isnt until 2 p.m., so we will be able to get enough rest.
The team will stay at a hotel Saturday night, and Conners said they planned on bringing movies and snacks to help spend Saturday evening resting up for their game against Cincinnati.
The team members will pay for their own expenses on the trip. The girls have assigned drivers, from the team for the two-hour drive, and each passenger will share gas expenses.
Courtney Sealey can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Catch up with Ketchum
- Maggie’s Lemonade Stand to be set up on MSC Plazas
- Bike thefts on the rise across campus
- New Red Cross app to help save lives
- Housing and Residence Life invites students to show their style
- The U2 Invasion: The new and improved type of advertising
- Risk of cold increases as temps decrease
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”