Where sweetness reigns
Huntington has gotten a little sweeter over the past couple of years since the opening of gourmet bakery Paula Vega Cakes in 2011.
Located at 308 Ninth St., Paula Vega Cakes offers fresh-baked daily cupcakes, brownies and made to order specialty cakes.
Cupcakes come in a large variety of flavors with new assortments daily and seasonally.
Springtime flavors currently available range anywhere from lemon blueberry to vanilla bean to red velvet. Filling such as strawberry with fresh berries or chocolate ganache makes up the center of each cupcake. This sweet little treat is topped off with whipped, airy frosting.
Paula Vega, owner, gave a little twist to her usual cupcakes buy adding Easter eggs and pastel colors to show some holiday spirit.
“Business has been really consistent,” Vega said.
Vega has been baking ever since she can remember, but baking hasn’t always been her profession. The former Miss West Virginia traded in her 16 year, part-time job as a registered nurse at Cabell Huntington Hospital to fulfill her passion of baking.
“When I worked in the hospital I would always bring in red velvet cake on midnight shift,” Vega said. “People just started giving me cake orders from work.”
After taking a cake decorating class Vega said her cakes started to look like what they tasted like.
“That’s when the real orders started coming in, bridal showers, weddings, professional birthdays,” Vega said. “I kept reducing my hours at work to bake, eventually the baking took over my nursing and I started to cook from home. I loved nursing, but I love baking more.”
Outrageous cake orders are just part of the daily routine at the bakery.
“We make cakes anywhere from wine bottles to pregnant bellies,” Vega said. “We did a redneck princess cake that was pink and camouflage with a tiara on top.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR