Where sweetness reigns
Huntington has gotten a little sweeter over the past couple of years since the opening of gourmet bakery Paula Vega Cakes in 2011.
Located at 308 Ninth St., Paula Vega Cakes offers fresh-baked daily cupcakes, brownies and made to order specialty cakes.
Cupcakes come in a large variety of flavors with new assortments daily and seasonally.
Springtime flavors currently available range anywhere from lemon blueberry to vanilla bean to red velvet. Filling such as strawberry with fresh berries or chocolate ganache makes up the center of each cupcake. This sweet little treat is topped off with whipped, airy frosting.
Paula Vega, owner, gave a little twist to her usual cupcakes buy adding Easter eggs and pastel colors to show some holiday spirit.
“Business has been really consistent,” Vega said.
Vega has been baking ever since she can remember, but baking hasn’t always been her profession. The former Miss West Virginia traded in her 16 year, part-time job as a registered nurse at Cabell Huntington Hospital to fulfill her passion of baking.
“When I worked in the hospital I would always bring in red velvet cake on midnight shift,” Vega said. “People just started giving me cake orders from work.”
After taking a cake decorating class Vega said her cakes started to look like what they tasted like.
“That’s when the real orders started coming in, bridal showers, weddings, professional birthdays,” Vega said. “I kept reducing my hours at work to bake, eventually the baking took over my nursing and I started to cook from home. I loved nursing, but I love baking more.”
Outrageous cake orders are just part of the daily routine at the bakery.
“We make cakes anywhere from wine bottles to pregnant bellies,” Vega said. “We did a redneck princess cake that was pink and camouflage with a tiara on top.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership