Where is Marshall getting their teachers?
A graduate teaching assistant was arrested during his class Tuesday, on two counts of child pornography. This makes the third Marshall University faculty member to be arrested this school year.
The first professor to be arrested was a math professor who was arrested for the sexual assault of a minor in August.
The second case involved an adjunct journalism professor who was arrested for creating fake vehicle registration and inspection stickers in November.
Something must be in the Huntington water to cause three instructors in one academic year to be arrested. A situation like this is almost unheard of.
What has caused this to happen?
Why does the university not do background checks on employees? Sounds like a pretty standard thing to do, especially at a university.
The professor arrested Wednesday had been under investigation for child pornography since July, and that is information that would have been made known to the administration if background checks were performed on potential employees.
These charges are not things that should be overlooked when hiring new employees, for any company, but especially not for a position that deals with several other people on a daily basis.
Marshall University needs to make sure its employees are not hiding anything before they are hired. Background checks are among the most effective ways to do that.
Sometimes, blind trust gets the best of people, which is obviously the case with three staff members getting arrested in the course of seven months. Something is up, and it desperately needs to be addressed.
Let us tell the administration that background checks are important, and we want them for the people providing us with an education.
It is worth the extra effort to make sure more instructors are not arrested, especially in such a short period of time, and we must make sure the students at this institution are provided with an education not interrupted by crime committing adults.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”