We are all sons and daughters of Marshall
A column entitled Time heals all wounds published Thursday has stirred much controversy among students, alumni and the entire Marshall University community. The content of this work is representative of the opinion of a single individual. The Parthenon continues to respect the opinion of each of its contributors and the editorial board takes full responsibility for its placement in our student newspaper.
The response to this column has been incredible countless emails, phone calls, Tweets, Facebook comments and even threats have been fielded by members of The Parthenon staff and exchanged by so many who place Marshall University near to their hearts. We appreciate those who have contributed objective commentary on behalf of our readership in light of the situation.
Since that fateful evening in 1970, Nov. 14 has served as a day of unity for the Marshall community, a day to honor those who perished and an opportunity to celebrate the growth and success of the university. The annual memorial service is a testimony to the enduring spirit, resilience and loyalty of the sons and daughters of Marshall. Even through the passing of years, the tragedy still marks the university and its counterparts.
The concerns and well-thought responses to the recent column demonstrate the importance of the event and the value it holds 42 years later. For so many of us, the memorial is much more than going through the motions, it is a symbol of the past, present and future of this university. May we never forget the 75 Sons and Daughters of Marshall who lost their lives Nov. 14, 1970 and may we always keep deep roots within our university and hold strong to our beliefs. We are Marshall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Catch up with Ketchum
- Maggie’s Lemonade Stand to be set up on MSC Plazas
- Bike thefts on the rise across campus
- New Red Cross app to help save lives
- Housing and Residence Life invites students to show their style
- The U2 Invasion: The new and improved type of advertising
- Risk of cold increases as temps decrease
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center