We are all sons and daughters of Marshall
A column entitled Time heals all wounds published Thursday has stirred much controversy among students, alumni and the entire Marshall University community. The content of this work is representative of the opinion of a single individual. The Parthenon continues to respect the opinion of each of its contributors and the editorial board takes full responsibility for its placement in our student newspaper.
The response to this column has been incredible countless emails, phone calls, Tweets, Facebook comments and even threats have been fielded by members of The Parthenon staff and exchanged by so many who place Marshall University near to their hearts. We appreciate those who have contributed objective commentary on behalf of our readership in light of the situation.
Since that fateful evening in 1970, Nov. 14 has served as a day of unity for the Marshall community, a day to honor those who perished and an opportunity to celebrate the growth and success of the university. The annual memorial service is a testimony to the enduring spirit, resilience and loyalty of the sons and daughters of Marshall. Even through the passing of years, the tragedy still marks the university and its counterparts.
The concerns and well-thought responses to the recent column demonstrate the importance of the event and the value it holds 42 years later. For so many of us, the memorial is much more than going through the motions, it is a symbol of the past, present and future of this university. May we never forget the 75 Sons and Daughters of Marshall who lost their lives Nov. 14, 1970 and may we always keep deep roots within our university and hold strong to our beliefs. We are Marshall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections