We are all sons and daughters of Marshall
A column entitled Time heals all wounds published Thursday has stirred much controversy among students, alumni and the entire Marshall University community. The content of this work is representative of the opinion of a single individual. The Parthenon continues to respect the opinion of each of its contributors and the editorial board takes full responsibility for its placement in our student newspaper.
The response to this column has been incredible countless emails, phone calls, Tweets, Facebook comments and even threats have been fielded by members of The Parthenon staff and exchanged by so many who place Marshall University near to their hearts. We appreciate those who have contributed objective commentary on behalf of our readership in light of the situation.
Since that fateful evening in 1970, Nov. 14 has served as a day of unity for the Marshall community, a day to honor those who perished and an opportunity to celebrate the growth and success of the university. The annual memorial service is a testimony to the enduring spirit, resilience and loyalty of the sons and daughters of Marshall. Even through the passing of years, the tragedy still marks the university and its counterparts.
The concerns and well-thought responses to the recent column demonstrate the importance of the event and the value it holds 42 years later. For so many of us, the memorial is much more than going through the motions, it is a symbol of the past, present and future of this university. May we never forget the 75 Sons and Daughters of Marshall who lost their lives Nov. 14, 1970 and may we always keep deep roots within our university and hold strong to our beliefs. We are Marshall.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR