Vladimir Lenin: Truth and Oppression
Previously, I discussed how Lenins perspective on political issues amounted to taking Russian society, shaped like a circle and fitting it into Marxist theory, shaped like a square. Today, I want show how he attempted to do this, what we can learn from his attempt.
If you want to fit a circle into a square, the best thing to do is cut the circle into the shape of a square. Lenins policy in the Soviet Union from 1917-1923 did just that. When Lenin took power, he had three major issues: fighting a civil war, ending Russias involvement in WWI and restructuring the economy along socialist lines. Lenins method is most evident in his approach to the economy.
First, the Communist Party implemented war communism, which banned money and set up a rationing system. War communism quickly failed, because the peasants were screwed by the system and refused to give away their crops. The industrial workers did not produce enough to satisfy peasant demand either.
So, the Communist Party went to the drawing board and came up with the New Economic Policy, which instituted a highly regulated economy, with free trade amongst peasants and small businesses. The idea was simple; since Russia was not a highly developed capitalist nation, then the Communist Party would have to develop it along quasi-capitalist lines first, then make the transition into pure socialism. The NEP was moderately successful, but criticized heavily by hardline communists, who called it a step backwards.
What I am trying to illustrate is simple. Lenin and his buddies were engaged in social engineering (I use this loosely), by tweaking a society to develop according to Marxist theory. Social engineering cannot be successful if there is any political discourse, because social engineering presupposes the principles it is founded on to be true and proper. If something is true, then there is no dispute to its validity and therefore, all discussion hampers the realization of this truth. If discussion, which supposes a dialogue and hence a diversity of opinion (the opposite of discussion is agreement, which supposes homogeneity of opinion) hampers the realization of truth, then it must be wrong and therefore harmful to those implementing the truth.
One can see why it did not phase Lenin much to sign off on eradicating opposing political parties.
Im using Lenin and his pursuit of ideological truth as an illustration to a serious problem I see in our society. The reason why Capitol Hill is so highly divided is like Lenin, our Congressmen (right or left) think they hold the truth. If a liberal senator thinks his way is true, then not only is his conservative counterpart wrong, but the advocacy of his counterparts position is an existential threat to his truth. Therefore his opponent must be demonized. The same thing applies conservatives thoughts on liberals.
The problem is our representatives are ideologues. Their pursuit of solutions to social issues isnt rooted in the study of economics, sociology or political science. Sure, they use these disciplines to support their ideologies when it is to their benefit, but they root their solutions in their belief, just like Lenin did in the Soviet Union. Political dogma, at this point, takes precedence over practical solutions.
Next week, I will be shifting gears into Stalins rise to power.
Henry Culvyhouse can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR