Two engineering students published in journal
Two Marshall University students were recently published in bi-annual scholarly journal.
Computer Science students Devon Albrecht and Sean Sovine were published in the Journal of Management and Engineering Integration Volume 4, Number 2, Winter 2011/2012 Issue. Their paper was on the Computing Technology Farm housed at Marshall, with a focus on the High-Yield Display Wall for Research Activity (HYDRA).
"It is about a project by Computational Research and Education for New Emerging Technologies," Sovine said. "This project is aimed to research tiled LCD display walls and to create a very cost-effective implementation of such a wall. A tiled display wall is a set of identical monitors or projectors that are aligned using a special stand so they form a single display surface. These computers are networked together and then controlled by a single computer."
"Being part of a team that can produce a product such as HYDRA and get the work published has been a great experience," Albrecht said.
"I was looking to mold my work into a research paper that could be submitted for publication," Albrecht said. "When we started we knew that research projects were generally coupled with research papers. So on top of building a flashy new computer science toy, we were working toward publication of our work."
Albrecht also wants future students coming up in the Computer Science department to continue his and Sovine's example of going above and beyond.
"These projects can be integrated from class work, but we encourage students to research the new technologies that are arising in the Computer Science field. The whole idea here is that the ownership of the project belongs to the students. The project is powered by student's motivation."
Having their paper published is beneficial in many ways for Albrecht and Sovine. They both agree it's a good thing to have their name out in the professional community by being published this this journal.
"It's been a very beneficial experience," Sovine said. "I have learned that I truly enjoy the research process. I appreciate the way researchers in various fields of study share information through participating in conferences and through the publication of research papers."
"This really means a great deal to me," Albrecht said. "It's a huge personal accomplishment as I see it and a team accomplishment for all those involved. It is a great reward for a lot of hard work and dedication."
Shane Arrington can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR