Two engineering students published in journal
Two Marshall University students were recently published in bi-annual scholarly journal.
Computer Science students Devon Albrecht and Sean Sovine were published in the Journal of Management and Engineering Integration Volume 4, Number 2, Winter 2011/2012 Issue. Their paper was on the Computing Technology Farm housed at Marshall, with a focus on the High-Yield Display Wall for Research Activity (HYDRA).
"It is about a project by Computational Research and Education for New Emerging Technologies," Sovine said. "This project is aimed to research tiled LCD display walls and to create a very cost-effective implementation of such a wall. A tiled display wall is a set of identical monitors or projectors that are aligned using a special stand so they form a single display surface. These computers are networked together and then controlled by a single computer."
"Being part of a team that can produce a product such as HYDRA and get the work published has been a great experience," Albrecht said.
"I was looking to mold my work into a research paper that could be submitted for publication," Albrecht said. "When we started we knew that research projects were generally coupled with research papers. So on top of building a flashy new computer science toy, we were working toward publication of our work."
Albrecht also wants future students coming up in the Computer Science department to continue his and Sovine's example of going above and beyond.
"These projects can be integrated from class work, but we encourage students to research the new technologies that are arising in the Computer Science field. The whole idea here is that the ownership of the project belongs to the students. The project is powered by student's motivation."
Having their paper published is beneficial in many ways for Albrecht and Sovine. They both agree it's a good thing to have their name out in the professional community by being published this this journal.
"It's been a very beneficial experience," Sovine said. "I have learned that I truly enjoy the research process. I appreciate the way researchers in various fields of study share information through participating in conferences and through the publication of research papers."
"This really means a great deal to me," Albrecht said. "It's a huge personal accomplishment as I see it and a team accomplishment for all those involved. It is a great reward for a lot of hard work and dedication."
Shane Arrington can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections