The Art of Skateboarding
Marshall University graduate Don Pendleton will present his art exhibit “Paris Signs Presents: Fine Lines: The Artwork of Don Pendleton: A Walter Gropius Artist” through May.
Pendleton will speak about his artwork at 7 p.m. Thursday, and he will teach a three-day workshop at the Huntington Museum of Art titled, “Fine Lines: The Art of Skateboard Graphics” from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 11-14.
Pendleton is an American artist, illustrator, designer and writer whose techniques range from creating digital work for his skateboard graphics to installation pieces that connect linguistics with a narrative art visions.
The American artist was born in raised in Ravenswood, W.Va., where he grew up watching his father paint and followed in his father’s footsteps at age nine. Pendleton discovered skateboarding at age 13. As a sponsored skateboarder, Pendleton made his way through competitions, and amateur rankings until an ankle injury in 1992 that shifted his main focus back to his artwork.
In 1998 he landed a position as in-house graphic artist and designer for Alien Workshop. Pendleton also led the creative and marketing team of the skateboarding giant, Element Skateboards.
The artist is now a freelance commercial artist whose client list includes Zero Skateboards, LG Electronics, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Pearl Jam, Nike 6.0 and DC Shoes, among others.
While the majority of Pendleton’s artwork is centered on his expressionist style, he continues to explore various techniques to complete each project that he engages in.
When Pendleton is not traveling, he can be found in his studio, riding his skateboard, or working on graphics in front of a computer screen for his resurrected company, Darkroom.
The exhibit is presented by Paris Signs and sponsored by Bulldog Creative Services, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, and National Endowment for the Arts with approval from the West Virginia Commission on the Arts.
Breckin Wells can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- COLUMN: As technology advances, so should privacy legislation
- Burying the blue dress means not talking about the blue dress
- Connecting your future
- Politicians to discuss sociopolitics at Tri-state Organization Conference
- Sex and Politics brings a crowd
- The living dead to be spotted on campus
- Herd men’s soccer plays Charlotte 49ers to draw
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”