The Art of Skateboarding
Marshall University graduate Don Pendleton will present his art exhibit “Paris Signs Presents: Fine Lines: The Artwork of Don Pendleton: A Walter Gropius Artist” through May.
Pendleton will speak about his artwork at 7 p.m. Thursday, and he will teach a three-day workshop at the Huntington Museum of Art titled, “Fine Lines: The Art of Skateboard Graphics” from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 11-14.
Pendleton is an American artist, illustrator, designer and writer whose techniques range from creating digital work for his skateboard graphics to installation pieces that connect linguistics with a narrative art visions.
The American artist was born in raised in Ravenswood, W.Va., where he grew up watching his father paint and followed in his father’s footsteps at age nine. Pendleton discovered skateboarding at age 13. As a sponsored skateboarder, Pendleton made his way through competitions, and amateur rankings until an ankle injury in 1992 that shifted his main focus back to his artwork.
In 1998 he landed a position as in-house graphic artist and designer for Alien Workshop. Pendleton also led the creative and marketing team of the skateboarding giant, Element Skateboards.
The artist is now a freelance commercial artist whose client list includes Zero Skateboards, LG Electronics, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Pearl Jam, Nike 6.0 and DC Shoes, among others.
While the majority of Pendleton’s artwork is centered on his expressionist style, he continues to explore various techniques to complete each project that he engages in.
When Pendleton is not traveling, he can be found in his studio, riding his skateboard, or working on graphics in front of a computer screen for his resurrected company, Darkroom.
The exhibit is presented by Paris Signs and sponsored by Bulldog Creative Services, West Virginia Division of Culture and History, and National Endowment for the Arts with approval from the West Virginia Commission on the Arts.
Breckin Wells can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses