Student Resource Center advises MU students
The Student Resource Center, located on the second floor of the Marshall University Memorial Student Center, offers advising, campus networking, career services and a variety of programs during the semester.
The SRC houses three resource specialists and one career service specialist. Andrea Koutsunis-Hicks, resource specialist, said students can seek assistance with transitional issues during the semester.
We do things like accountability meetings for students, Koutsunis-Hicks said. We might meet with a student once a week on a set schedule or twice a weekwhatever they need to make sure they are staying on task and completing assignments properly. Sometimes getting help at the beginning of the semester is so much better than waiting to the end when your grades arent doing well.
The SRC assists undeclared Marshall students through advising and career resources. Michelle L. Barbour, career service specialist, said she helps students pinpoint their interests through career and personal interests assessments.
We help students explore their interests by speaking with employers, doing volunteer activities and job shadowing or workplace interviews where they can experience the field, Barbour said.
Koutsunis-Hicks said the SRC is reaching out to transfer students and wants to help make transfer students feel at home and incorporate them into the campus community. Freshman, obviously, have their big orientation, but then you have transfer students that come in each semester, Koutsunis-Hicks said. They dont have a big program, therefore we want to incorporate them into learning just as much about Marshall as a freshman.
Networking in College a program on Wednesday, Feb. 13, will give transfer students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with campus.
If students start reaching out to clubs and organizations, thats a form of networking that can help with homesickness and careers, Barbour said. Students can get in clubs and activities that relate to their major. Also, social activities allow students to make new friends, join groups, and be involved.
Students do not have to make an appointment to visit the SRC and walk-ins are accepted. The SRC is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information about the SRC students can visit their website at marshall.edu/src.
Courtney Brown can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections