Student athletes give back to community
Being a college athlete might be tougher than one would think.
In addition to practice, lifting weights, classes, homework and everyday activities, college athletes often volunteer their time to give back.
Throughout the year, Marshall athletes help instruct clinics and camps for children.
The opportunities allow athletes a chance to give back to the community that supports them.
Junior volleyball player, Laura Der, said she understands the importance of outreach.
I think its important to give back, because without this community and their hard work, we wouldnt be at Marshall, Der said. It helps build a sense of community and lend a helping hand. Volleyball isnt a huge sport around here, so I always try to show the kids that it is fun and something they could pursue.
Marshall Athletics held the 16th Annual Sweetheart Clinic, Sunday. The clinic allowed girls ages 4-12 an opportunity to learn about each of Marshalls nine womens sports.
Volleyball player Jaylene Berrien, said she loves the idea of the Sweetheart Clinic.
I love the Sweetheart Clinic, Berrien said. Its nice that the girls can get a feel for all the sports before they know if they like it or not.
The Sweetheart Clinic is just one outreach that the volleyball team likes to help with.
Throughout the year, the volleyball team plans camps for organizations such as Girl Scouts and elementary schools.
Its fun to interact with such young kids, Berrien said. They love everything at that age. I encourage them all to try athletics, because it teaches them commitment, hard work and mental toughness that is needed for the real world.
Der said she agrees with Berrien about teaching children.
I love coaching little kids; theyre my favorite, Der said. They are so energetic and love life. Its always a good time.
Other Marshall sports teams participate in teaching young kids the essentials of the game. Womens soccer hosts summer day camps for girls and the softball team runs a mentor program for young girls who play softball.
The Lil Sis Program lets girls adopt a Marshall softball player as a friend, role model and mentor and gives them the opportunity to see the game of softball played at a competitive level while building a friendship with the athletes.
Some of the outreach is required, but Der said that would not be a problem for the volleyball team.
We are required to do it, but it never feels that way because I know wed all want to do it anyway, Der said.
Der said she thinks all college athletes should have the experience of giving back and doing outreach.
All college athletes should give back, Der said. It helps remind us how blessed and privileged we really are.
Caitie Smith can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections