Service learning program provides education through community service
The Marshall University Service Learning Program offers students a chance to gain education and appreciation for their field of study through participation in community service.
This program implements community service into certain courses with the purpose being to show students how they can use skills they learn for their degree to help their community. The Service Learning Committee oversees the service learning curriculum. They work to provide students with the option of service learning designated classes.
Jenna Eatmon, graduate assistant for the Service Learning Center, said she helps students to understand how service learning classes can be a useful tool to prepare for the future.
A lot of times, we find students dont know how their skills can serve the community, Eatmon said. Its important to think outside of the box. One of the purposes of service learning is for students to learn there are many different ways they could use their degrees when they leave Marshall.
The Service Learning Program uses its Interdisciplinary Partnership Program to create community service projects for students. In this program, small groups of community partners and faculty work together to establish long-term projects that will better the area and give students a better sense of civic responsibility.
Pam Holland, director of the Service Learning Program, is also a professor of communication disorders. She teaches a freshmen service learning class that helps students to learn how to work with children and become comfortable around them.
Service Learning offers real-world, out of the classroom learning, Holland said. By the time a student is a senior, they should have both the knowledge and the skills to do their jobs. My students learn core skills as freshman that will help them work toward becoming successful.
Other Service Learning classes include various business management, psychology and political science courses. The students in Intro to Potters Wheel work with the Empty Bowls Campaign each spring to raise money for Huntington Area Food Bank.
Katrina Stewart, second-year post baccalaureate graduate student studying communication disorders, worked with children at the St. Johns House in her service learning class.
I think the purpose of the program was to develop positive relationships and provide a safe environment for the Children at St. Johns House, Stewart said. Being able to work with St. Johns instilled a lot of important values within myself. Working with children of various backgrounds helped me learn patience that will help me in my professional career as a speech language mythologist.
The Service Learning Program also offers faculty workshops throughout the year to provide faculty with the skills to teach service learning courses. Information about service learning courses can be found on their website at www.marshall.edu/srvlearn. The website also features a calendar of upcoming projects and events.
Ashley Foster can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR