Manchin celebrates accreditation of MU Forensic Science Graduate Program
United States Sen. Joe Manchin stopped by the Marshall University Forensic Science Center on Tuesday to celebrate the accreditation of the MU Forensic Science Graduate Programs Accreditation and the addition of the Paul H. and Dixie O. Nicely Scholarship Fund.
Manchin said that the accreditation of this program makes West Virginia the leader in forensic science.
Marshall University is not just the leader in forensic science in West Virginia, Manchin said. Marshall University is the leader in the nation. That speaks well for this entire state, and you all should be very proud.
There isnt a person that graduates from this program that isnt going to have people knocking on their doors saying, We want you. We want you in this government, the private sector, Manchin said. So what youre doing, I say thank you.
Terry W. Fenger, director for the Marshall University Forensic Science Center, said over the past decade the industry has seen a rise in the interest of forensics.
About twelve years ago there was this, what we called, CSI effect and many universities were noting the interest of students in crime scene investigation, Fenger said. Of course it didnt hurt with five or six programs on television that focused on crime scene investigation. Universities responded by creating all sorts of crime scene investigation curriculum.
We got involved early on with our forensic science program, and, in 1994, in association with the West Virginia State police, we developed the program, Fenger said. We had our first class in 1995 and have graduated a class every year in May since.
Fenger said in response to the CSI effect, that the American Academy of Forensic Science decided to evaluate the quality of the programs across the country. This was done to see if they meet standards that produce quality scientists to be hired for federal and state labs. Fender said there are at least 19 masters degree programs in forensic science across the country.
Last year, we submitted an application for accreditation for the digital forensics unit, Fenger said. This requires all coursework to be in place and to have a close working relationship with law enforcement, and last month we were notified that we had been approved for accreditation.
Also during the program, Fenger unveiled a new scholarship fund was created in order to promote and encourage students from West Virginia and the metropolitan area to participate in this program.
The need for the scholarship was identified by Tammy White, a member of the board of advisers named the scholarship after her parents, Paul and Dixie Nicely. Fenger revealed two portraits in honor of Whites parents that will hang in the Forensic Science Center.
The accreditation will remain for five years until its up for reevaluation in 2017. The accreditation body also decided that Marshall University will be the model system for the United States so far as a digital forensics program, Fenger said.
Zachary Morris can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”