Engineering student receives scholarship
The North Central West Virginia Chapter of the American Society of Highway Engineers announced their 2012 scholarship recipients at their commissioners/scholarship awards dinner on April 18.
Jessica Meadows, Marshall University civil engineering student and vice-president of the Marshalls Chapter of Society of American Military Engineers American Society of Civil Engineers, was one of three students selected among students from all over the state to receive a $1,5000 scholarship.
It felt really good when I found out I was awarded the scholarship, Meadows said. Competing against students from a lot of other universities, I felt my chances were pretty slim.
Jessica stood out because of her willingness to work in the highway and construction fields, her academic achievement, her recommendations and her determination to go back to school while raising a family, said Dennis LeRoy, ASHE representative.
Meadows said her family and career goals were the two deciding factors in her applying for this scholarship.
As a civil engineering student, I have been considering a career in construction and bridge design from the beginning, Meadows said. I applied for the scholarship because one of the criteria was the desire to work in the construction industry with emphasis given to those interested in highway work. Also, I am a non-traditional student that has a 40-mile commute to campus. This significantly increases the cost of attendance with such high gas and babysitting costs so I try to apply for any additional aid I can.
Meadows said she couldnt have done this alone. She said it was only with the help of the on-campus engineering community that this scholarship and other opportunities have been made possible.
Id like to thank the engineering department for notifying students of all the scholarships available to us year after year, Meadows said. If they didnt take the time to send out the emails and post the flyers, I never would have known about the scholarships available to me.
Applicants for the ASHE scholarship required that applicants provide a cover letter introducing themselves, expressing professional goals, involvement with extracurricular activities and reasons why they felt they were deserving of the scholarship. Applicants were also required to provide an official transcript along with a letter of recommendation.
Shane Arrington can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR