D’Antoni is Huntington’s pick
It matters no more what happened behind closed doors or what strings were pulled. When Dan D’Antoni was announced as Marshall University’s new head basketball coach Thursday, Huntington erupted. “Little Danny,” the scrappy point guard from Wyoming County who once scored 1,000 points for the Herd in the Veterans Memorial Field House, is finally coming home. Like a prodigal Son of Marshall whose long journey winded through New York and Los Angeles, D’Antoni proclaimed at his hiring press conference Friday he finally had his “dream job.” After a not-as-long journey with a more concentrated level of twists, the city of Huntington may have found its dream coach.D’Antoni’s detractors have nearly universally come from outside the Huntington and Marshall communities. Questions of his recruiting abilities and his nearly 43-year absence from college basketball have whipped message boards and talking heads into a frenzy, but it’s almost exclusively from those outside the tri-state. Meanwhile in the Jewel City, the good folks of Huntington were one step away from throwing a welcoming parade. Whatever intrigue, founded on fact or otherwise, should be forgotten. President Stephen J. Kopp and Athletic Director Mike Hamrick should be commended for knowing what the Huntington community wanted and delivering.They delivered a D’Antoni.This is exactly the shot of adrenaline the seemingly crumbling basketball program needed. Canty, Pittman and Herrion are in the past. While the Herd faces a tough forecast for the first few years, there’s nothing more the Huntington baby boomers would love than to cheer on a D’Antoni boy once more. Despite an uncertain future on the court, the program has been patched up enough to keep the fans in The Cam.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR