D’Antoni is Huntington’s pick
It matters no more what happened behind closed doors or what strings were pulled. When Dan D’Antoni was announced as Marshall University’s new head basketball coach Thursday, Huntington erupted. “Little Danny,” the scrappy point guard from Wyoming County who once scored 1,000 points for the Herd in the Veterans Memorial Field House, is finally coming home. Like a prodigal Son of Marshall whose long journey winded through New York and Los Angeles, D’Antoni proclaimed at his hiring press conference Friday he finally had his “dream job.” After a not-as-long journey with a more concentrated level of twists, the city of Huntington may have found its dream coach.D’Antoni’s detractors have nearly universally come from outside the Huntington and Marshall communities. Questions of his recruiting abilities and his nearly 43-year absence from college basketball have whipped message boards and talking heads into a frenzy, but it’s almost exclusively from those outside the tri-state. Meanwhile in the Jewel City, the good folks of Huntington were one step away from throwing a welcoming parade. Whatever intrigue, founded on fact or otherwise, should be forgotten. President Stephen J. Kopp and Athletic Director Mike Hamrick should be commended for knowing what the Huntington community wanted and delivering.They delivered a D’Antoni.This is exactly the shot of adrenaline the seemingly crumbling basketball program needed. Canty, Pittman and Herrion are in the past. While the Herd faces a tough forecast for the first few years, there’s nothing more the Huntington baby boomers would love than to cheer on a D’Antoni boy once more. Despite an uncertain future on the court, the program has been patched up enough to keep the fans in The Cam.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections