SGA hosting raffle to benefit United Way
The Marshall University Student Government Association is hosting a raffle to benefit the United Way Tuesday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center.
Aja Smith, Marshall University student body vice president, said tickets cost $1 for one ticket or $5 for six tickets.
All of the raffle money will go toward our goal of raising $35,000 for United Way, proceeds from the t-shirts also go to this goal. Smith said. More importantly, were trying to raise awareness for United Way, and increase participation in our campaign.
Students, staff and community members can also donate to United Way by purchasing a T-shirt or hooded sweatshirt.
Jaye Ike, Chair of the United Way committee at Marshall University, emphasized the importance of United Way in the community.
When you give to United Way, youre spreading your money across many agencies and programs in our community, Ike said. The agencies are vetted by volunteers, so that you know your money is going to the most important and viable programs.
United Way of the River Cities supports programs and strategies that address problems in our region.
Thirty percent of United Way dollars assure that individuals and families in crisis have food, clothing, safe shelter, and medications, Ike said. Seventy percent help fund programs that are creating long-term solutions to critical issues like substance abuse, the dropout problem, lack of life preparation skills, and childhood obesity, to name a few.
According to Ike, United Way is also involved in partnerships that are making an impact on early childhood learning, financial stability, dropout prevention and preventing substance abuse among youth.
Those purchasing raffle tickets will be entered into a drawing for a Kindle Fire. The winner will be announced next week.
A 2012 limited edition handcrafted ceramic Go Herd football commemorating the 2012 season can also be purchased at The Pottery Place in Pullman Square until Dec. 15 with the money benefiting United Way of the River Cities.
Students unable to make it to the Memorial Student Center Tuesday can also purchase tickets from campaign chair Jaye Ike in her office located in Smith Hall room 160 or visit www.marshall.edu/unitedway to make a donation or buy a shirt.
Ashley Killingsworth can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections