Research finds bath salts could lead to Alzheimers cure
The latest addition to the list of synthetic drugs is causing widespread concern among drug addiction experts, but some research indicates the substance might potentially be used in the battle against Alzheimers disease.
Last summer, mephedrone, known as bath salts, made headlines and was on the fast track to being completely outlawed.
One of the first studies conducted on the drug demonstrated its effects on the brain of a rat were similar to those of the drug Ecstasy.
Brand names such as Cloud Nine, Ivory Wave and Blue Silk contain bath salt stimulants.
The chemicals have not been scientifically tested in humans and are not approved for medical use in the United States.
Kim Miller, master addiction counselor and director of corporate development at Prestera Center in Barboursville, said the effects are extremely dangerous.
There have been many cases locally of permanent brain damage observed in people that have used bath salts, including persistent and intractable, or untreatable, psychosis, Miller said. These drugs are so new that we really dont know the short term or long term psychoactive effects.
The bath salts, with amphetamine-like qualities, have not been banned by the Drug Enforcement Administration yet.
However, a 2005 study in the Journal of Neuroscience indicated that some of the chemical compounds in bath salts actually could aid in the development of therapeutic drugs.
In research on animals, one of the substances, JWH-133, has been shown to decrease the inflammation caused by a certain protein. This protein has been linked to the build up of plaque in the brains of Alzheimers patients.
The active ingredients in bath salts have not been tested on humans.
If the drug was banned, further research on the possibility of developing new legitimate uses would be impossible, according to the National Institute of Drug Abuse.
The media has covered the multiple psychotic episodes of the zombie like nature of the drugs effects.
Other reports show that anxiety, kidney failure and severe paranoia are also effects of bath salts.
Lakin Turner can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections