Organizers fuel up for annual Toy Train party
What started as a small get together among a group of friends has grown into an extravagant holiday party that Cara Hedrick, Toy Train organizer, said has helped more than a hundred thousand children during the holidays.
Everything goes to the kids, Hedrick said. We have very little overhead, every thing is donated.
Toy Train 2012 will kick off at 8 p.m. on Saturday at 611 4th Ave. across from Nawab Restaurant. Hedrick said to attend the party, people will need to donate a new toy or $25 at the door.
Last year we raised enough money to take every kid at the city mission to Max and Ermas in Pullman Square, Hedrick said. Santa came and we took them to a movie afterwards. It was something that many of them have never done before and is something they may not get to do anytime soon.
The toys are distributed to children in the Huntington area that come from low-income families. Hedrick said there is a committee that works to make sure the toys go to the right children.
Hedrick said there will be plenty of beverages and food that has been donated from various restaurants in Huntington.
She said when she started working as an organizer for Toy Train she thought it was just a fun party, but has seen it grow into a huge event that has helped thousands of children.
I thought it was just something to do, Hedrick said. Over the years you see how many kids are helped and its just something that makes you feel really good to help.
The Parthenon can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses