Regional foes enjoyable to play
For as painful as it was to watch the Herd’s sizeable lead shrink and eventually invert into a 102-94 overtime loss to Morehead State, it was good to see the Eagles again. It’s hard to find a mid-major whose fans travel quite as well as Marshall’s do, but one of the main grumbles heard when Marshall fled the MAC for greener Conference USA pastures was the geographic disadvantages of away games. With the closest conference team being East Carolina in Greensboro roughly over five hours away, giving up on sensible Ohio road trips to Akron, Toledo and Oxford was the price that needed paying for more shots at national athletic acclaim.
But the Herd’s schedule isn’t always going to be boxed in by conference play, especially now with roughly 30 basketball games needing to be played each year.
So when we’re out picking foes from the world outside C-USA, it’s enjoyable to keep things regional. Exhibit A: Ohio University. It only makes sense that two equally matched programs 80 miles apart with a history dating back to 1905 and a traveling trophy see each other with any degree of regularity. With the Battle for the Bell renewed until 2016 and popular opinion high despite the series has not recently being kind to Marshall, it’s a fine example of not forgetting old faces despite the trend of conference-centric movements around the nation.
It’s not just the obvious in Ohio. It’s traveling across the mountains to see Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. It WAS going up to Morgantown for the now-defunct Friends of Coal. It’s going over to Morehead State on Sunday.
It’s nice to have traveling to away games as a viable option for the average fan. It’s nice to casually run into fans of our opponents in our daily lives. There’s plenty of worthy teams within a 100-mile radius of campus, and exploring those options in scheduling would make travel easier and rivalries stronger.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses