NBA rightly shows no tolerance for Donald Sterling
The higher you are, the harder you fall, as Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, is learning this week.TMZ released a recording of a conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, in which he tells her he is bothered by her association with black people.Stiviano is part black, by the way.Over the last several days, Sterling’s remarks have grabbed headlines and became top talk for national news networks.Sterling has received an extreme amount of backlash, and the team has shown its displeasure by wearing its jerseys inside out through the pregame routine for its game Sunday against the Golden State Warriors.Magic Johnson, one of the men referred to in the recording, reportedly said Sterling “shouldn’t be an owner anymore,” and vowed to not attend a Clippers game so long as Sterling remained the owner. Fortunately for Johnson, this shouldn’t take long.NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday that Sterling has been banned for life from the NBA and fined $2.5 million. However, it looks as though Sterling will actually make a profit off of this scandal. Silver has insisted he will do everything to compel the NBA Board of Governors to force a sale of the Clippers. If Sterling does sell the team, he stands to make about $575 million, according to Forbes magazine.It’s a cruel twist that despite the racist comments, Sterling will walk away from all of this a much richer man.But make no mistake, racism has no place in our society. The reactions against Sterling’s remarks prove that there is no excuse and no room for such discrimination. Despite the nice check Sterling should soon receive, it comes at a higher price of a shattered public image.The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP was set to award Sterling with his second lifetime achievement award next month. Instead, Sterling has received a lifetime ban from the NBA.Ironic, indeed.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses