NBA rightly shows no tolerance for Donald Sterling
The higher you are, the harder you fall, as Donald Sterling, owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, is learning this week.TMZ released a recording of a conversation between Sterling and his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, in which he tells her he is bothered by her association with black people.Stiviano is part black, by the way.Over the last several days, Sterling’s remarks have grabbed headlines and became top talk for national news networks.Sterling has received an extreme amount of backlash, and the team has shown its displeasure by wearing its jerseys inside out through the pregame routine for its game Sunday against the Golden State Warriors.Magic Johnson, one of the men referred to in the recording, reportedly said Sterling “shouldn’t be an owner anymore,” and vowed to not attend a Clippers game so long as Sterling remained the owner. Fortunately for Johnson, this shouldn’t take long.NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday that Sterling has been banned for life from the NBA and fined $2.5 million. However, it looks as though Sterling will actually make a profit off of this scandal. Silver has insisted he will do everything to compel the NBA Board of Governors to force a sale of the Clippers. If Sterling does sell the team, he stands to make about $575 million, according to Forbes magazine.It’s a cruel twist that despite the racist comments, Sterling will walk away from all of this a much richer man.But make no mistake, racism has no place in our society. The reactions against Sterling’s remarks prove that there is no excuse and no room for such discrimination. Despite the nice check Sterling should soon receive, it comes at a higher price of a shattered public image.The Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP was set to award Sterling with his second lifetime achievement award next month. Instead, Sterling has received a lifetime ban from the NBA.Ironic, indeed.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR