Octubafest I Comes to Smith Music Hall
The Marshall University School of Music and Theatre presented the annual Octubafest I: Tuba and Euphonium Studio Solo Night Wednesday in Smith Music Hall at 8 p.m.
The recital featured the tuba, a large brass wind instrument of bass pitch, and the euphonium, a brass instrument that resembles a small tuba of tenor pitch.
Eight Marshall students each performed a solo musical number and most were accompanied by the piano.
Nick Hartley, senior music education major, played “Morceau Vivant” by Marcel Marteau on the tuba. He was accompanied by Mila Markun, professor of class piano.
Anthony Reynolds, freshman music performace major, played “Sonata Number 1 in F Major” by Benedetto Marcello on the tuba. Mary Beth Norman, music ministry supervisor at St. Timothy Lutheran Church, joined him on the piano.
Marshall Rickman, junior music education major, performed “Three Romances” by Barbara York on the tuba. He was also accompanied by Mary Beth Norman.
Katherine Hebbard, sophomore music education major, played “Concertino for Tuba” by James Curnow on the tuba. Mary Beth Norman appeared with her as well.
Guy Parker, junior music education major, performed “Concerto for Bass Tuba” by Ralph Vaughan Williams on the tuba. He was also accompanied by Mary Beth Norman.
Joey Graybeal, sophomore music education major, played Concerto by Joseph Horovitz on the euphonium. Mary Beth Norman joined him as well.
Seth Edwards, sophomore music education major played “Partita, opus 89” by Arthur Butterworth on the euphonium. He, too, was coincided with Mary Beth Norman.
Tyler Davis, senior music education major, performed “Contraptions for Solo Tuba” by Ben Miles on the tuba. This piece had five different movements, and Davis was not accompanied by the piano.
“The piece that I performed was written so the tuba alone can perform and doesn’t require the accompaniment,” Davis said. “It covered a wide variety of techniques that can easily stand alone without something else.”
Marshall students participate in this event every year and each year the expectations get higher, Davis said.
“It’s a good opportunity for the players to get in front of an audience and perform. Everyone represented their instruments well.”
All of these students will perform again in Octubafest II: Tubatween Monday at Smith Music Hall at 8 p.m.
That recital will feature about 15 performers together on the tuba and euphonium.
All the performers will dress up in Halloween costumes and invite the audience to dress up as well.
It is free and open to the public.
Misty Ernest can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership