MU School of Medicine receives $50,000 grant for orthopaedic research
The Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine was awarded a grant of $50,000 to go toward a research project headed by Maria Serrat.
Serrat is an assistant professor in the department of anatomy at the School of Medicine and a clinical assistant professor in the department of orthopaedics.
“We developed a model to study how the application of heat on the body’s surface can stimulate bone elongation,” Serrat said in a press release. “By validating this model, we are looking at future possible clinical treatments to lengthen bones in children with growth issues or orthopaedic trauma using non-invasive methods.”
Serrat and her team recently presented their findings at the National Orthopaedic Research Society meeting in New Orleans. The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research awarded $1 million in research funding for 20 grants of $50,000 to members who have submitted a peer-reviewed grand application to a major funding sponsor and received a full review but were not funded.
The goal of the grant is to allow the award recipient to continue to develop the research and strengthen the proposal for future funding. The grant program is open to established and young investigators and to U.S. and international members.
“it’s a bridge grant, and the first year this new program is offered by the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, they have committed a very large pool of money to help investigators in the bone and mineral research field and carry their research forward in a climate where funding is just incredibly difficult for everyone to get,” Serrat said.
There were seven different teams selected during this first round of funding, which is fortunate because Serrat and her team were not only competing with new investigators, but also established investigators from both the U.S. and international. Some of these teams have a 25-year research career.
“We were just really excited that being from Marshall as a new investigator that we were able to convince the reviewers that our project was exciting enough and that we had the resources and the team and people to do it, it really says a lot about what we are able to do here,” Serrat said.
Lara Sedlock can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Meet an INTO Marshall student: Anas Alshammari
- The Herd gears up for a new season and new style
- Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup
- Ciccarelli named chief of police
- “America needs to let go of the fear of being politically incorrect and let...
- D’Antoni brings divergent, spread basketball offense to Marshall
- Yeager Scholar applications available
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections