MU fans have spoken, new mascot costume to resemble 'classic Marco'
The Marshall community has spoken and their choice is definitive.
In a Facebook contest, which ran from July 24 to Aug. 12, students, faculty, alumni and Herd fans from all over had the opportunity to vote for the new mascot costume. Their choice, however, is not so much “new” as it is more of a return to the look of the “classic Marco” from the 1980s and 1990s.
With 76 percent of the vote, the winning option features Marco with fur-covered legs, hooves and a gentler-looking face.
Matt Turner, chief of staff, said the current costume is worn and needs to be replaced, and the contest allowed the community the chance to make their opinions heard.
There were 3, 187 total votes. The winning option received 2,424 of those votes. The option for a partial makeover received 448 votes, and the option to keep current Marco came in last with 315 votes.
“The attention this has gotten doesn’t surprise us,” Turner said. “People care a lot about Marco and they made it clear they want ‘old Marco’ back, so we’re giving it to them.”
Mason Hess, junior nursing major, said he is pleased with the results of the contest.
“I kind of like more of the retro look with Marshall,” Hess said. “I like when they went back to the Kelly green, so, you can’t go wrong with going back to the old Marco.”
Shawna Hatten, a 2012 graduate of Marshall, said she never thought the current Marco looked much like a bison.
“Change is a good thing in a lot of cases and updates are needed from time to time, but the results clearly show that the old Marco look is embraced by more in the Marshall community,” Hatten said. “It is what many, including myself, have been used to for years.”
The new Marco costume is set to debut at the homecoming game Saturday, Oct. 5 against University of Texas at San Antonio.
Rebecca Stephens can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections