MU fans have spoken, new mascot costume to resemble 'classic Marco'
The Marshall community has spoken and their choice is definitive.
In a Facebook contest, which ran from July 24 to Aug. 12, students, faculty, alumni and Herd fans from all over had the opportunity to vote for the new mascot costume. Their choice, however, is not so much “new” as it is more of a return to the look of the “classic Marco” from the 1980s and 1990s.
With 76 percent of the vote, the winning option features Marco with fur-covered legs, hooves and a gentler-looking face.
Matt Turner, chief of staff, said the current costume is worn and needs to be replaced, and the contest allowed the community the chance to make their opinions heard.
There were 3, 187 total votes. The winning option received 2,424 of those votes. The option for a partial makeover received 448 votes, and the option to keep current Marco came in last with 315 votes.
“The attention this has gotten doesn’t surprise us,” Turner said. “People care a lot about Marco and they made it clear they want ‘old Marco’ back, so we’re giving it to them.”
Mason Hess, junior nursing major, said he is pleased with the results of the contest.
“I kind of like more of the retro look with Marshall,” Hess said. “I like when they went back to the Kelly green, so, you can’t go wrong with going back to the old Marco.”
Shawna Hatten, a 2012 graduate of Marshall, said she never thought the current Marco looked much like a bison.
“Change is a good thing in a lot of cases and updates are needed from time to time, but the results clearly show that the old Marco look is embraced by more in the Marshall community,” Hatten said. “It is what many, including myself, have been used to for years.”
The new Marco costume is set to debut at the homecoming game Saturday, Oct. 5 against University of Texas at San Antonio.
Rebecca Stephens can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR