Marshall students take first at National Advertising Competition
Marshall University advertising students took first place at the district five National Advertising Competition Saturday in Louisville, Ky.
The NSAC is sponsored by the American Advertising Federation. They secure a sponsor each year and issue a case study that challenges advertising students to create a campaign. This year students worked with Mark Kay to establish awareness, perception and consideration of their product.
Director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications Janet Dooley said the students all had different responsibilities as they worked together in an agency. They also had a full component of an advertising campaign including a plans book and a 20 minute presentation for a panel of judges.
“It’s always well-deserved,” Dooley said. “Every campaign takes a lot of work. It’s always very rewarding when the judges see that this is a professional piece of work. One judge even said she forgot she was watching students.”
Dooley said this capstone experience provides her students with an opportunity to improve their resume while learning all steps of a campaign and putting them into action as a group.
“This is nice test of their senior capstone work,” Dooley said. “Outside of it being a competition, capstone is truly a global experience where they bring everything to the table and really learn to work as a group.”
Account planner for the agency group, Jen Tucker, said they were caught off guard when they realized they received first place.
“We knew that our pitch and campaign was very strong, but there were some challenges along the way that made us think it would be impossible to place,” Tucker said. “When they announced that we had won we were all overly excited because we had no expectations to win.”
Tucker said she is proud of the hard work they have put in all year.
“This has been a year in the making and we have sought advice from pretty much everyone in the J-school,” Tucker said. “They all played a part in helping us get to this point so we’d like to thank them for their support.”
Marketing director in the agency group, Molly Miloscia said traveling to competitions makes her proud of Marshall’s success.
“It gives you a lot of pride in where you come from,” Miloscia said. “This makes you proud of the amount of quality work that comes out of the program here at Marshall.”
Miloscia also said this was the highlight of her senior year, and she is happy to have made the journey with her peers.
“We’ve been working in groups since our freshman and sophomore year together,” Miloscia said. “Being able to make this whole journey with them and coming out on top was an experience. I wouldn’t have wanted any other people pitching by my side.”
The senior advertising students will now compete in an intermediate level of competition. Eight finalists are then considered for the National level of NSAC
Jessica Starkey can be contacted at email@example.com
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections