LGBT group sprouts in School of Medicine
Several students in Marshall University’s Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine have come together forming an organization to promote awareness of issues in medicine faced by the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Health Spectrum Alliance, as the group is known, “Is dedicated to cultivating a healthy, inclusive environment where medical students and professionals of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions are able to collaborate in order to optimize the delivery of healthcare in the tri-state area,” according to its mission statement.
Before starting medical school this past fall, Tamara Trout, HSA’s president, received her master’s degree in biomedical science from Marshall, in which she shared many courses with medical students.
“I have known this current set of medical students, who are fourth years now, since I started in 2010,” Trout said. “I have seen students in various places on the [LGBT] spectrum, and in various [stages] of being out of the closet, and there is nothing at this school that says ‘This is a welcoming culture, and this is a safe space for us to be out.’”
Trout said she also saw that lack of culture reflected in the medical community around Huntington.
“I was a medical scribe at one of the local hospitals, and although the doctors were friendly to all patients, it seemed like, sometimes, there was a certain lack of cultural competency,” she said.
She said the doctors and other medical students sometimes did not know how to relate to their patients, or ask the right questions to meet their medical needs. She also encountered questions about what pronouns were appropriate when dealing with transgender patients.
All the pieces fell into place when she spoke with Assistant Dean of Diversity Shelvy Campbell. Trout said Campbell was very receptive. The medical school had actually been criticized for lacking diversity, so this was one initiative that dovetailed with Campbell’s goals as an administrator.
Other students had also come to Campbell with an interest in starting an LGBT organization. Trout met with other founding members Scott Murphy, Divya Vangala, Aaron Dom, John Bruyere, Hilary Cornell, Kristen Hyberg and Maggie Espiridion to form a constitution, and Health Spectrum Alliance was born.
Campbell said she envisions the group sponsoring lectures and workshops, and assisting in addressing disparities in medical care in the LGBT community.
She also said it was a positive addition to the school.
“It’s going to be great for the medical school, because it puts us at the forefront,” she said.
In addition to addressing the needs of people seeking treatment, Campbell said it would help LGBT-identifying students.
“We want everyone to feel accepted and a part of our community,” she said. “We want to make sure that no one is uncomfortable, because there’s no need for them to hide who they are. “
Charlie House can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- COLUMN: As technology advances, so should privacy legislation
- Burying the blue dress means not talking about the blue dress
- Connecting your future
- Politicians to discuss sociopolitics at Tri-state Organization Conference
- Sex and Politics brings a crowd
- The living dead to be spotted on campus
- Herd men’s soccer plays Charlotte 49ers to draw
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”