Herd legends return to Huntington
The excitement of spring football took over Marshall University’s campus Saturday afternoon with the Green and White Game following the fountain ceremony.While this weekend brought a celebration of the football program, it also gave the Herd’s NFL legends a chance to come home and reconnect with their roots while working with the players for the upcoming season.Chris Crocker played for the Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons and Miami Dolphins and now works as an agent for the NFL. Crocker said after 12 years, it seemed like he was just playing on the field yesterday. Crocker also said he was proud of the results of last season and hopes they can produce a winning season this fall.“I think they can go undefeated this season,” Crocker said. “It was great to see what they did last year with no expectations. This year will be tougher because there are high expectations for them.”Chris Massey played for the St. Louis Rams for 11 years. He said it is great to be back home where he grew up and he enjoyed working with the players.“You’re never too old to learn something new,” Massey said. “We have a lot of insight and experience that we can share with these younger guys. We will do anything we can to help them on and off the field.”Chad Pennington played for the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins and was a head coach for the day along with Herd legend Byron Leftwich. Pennington said it was great to see his brothers that he had played with and celebrate the tradition of Marshall football. He also said he hoped this would be a positive experience for the players. “We want to do everything we can to make sure our current athletes have bright and successful futures,” Pennington said. “I hope that they take away an appreciation for the love that we have for each other as teammates. In order to be successful they have to have that same love. We hope that they look at what we’ve accomplished and dream even bigger than that.”Jessica Starkey can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Meet an INTO Marshall student: Anas Alshammari
- The Herd gears up for a new season and new style
- Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup
- Ciccarelli named chief of police
- “America needs to let go of the fear of being politically incorrect and let...
- D’Antoni brings divergent, spread basketball offense to Marshall
- Yeager Scholar applications available
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections