Firefighters respond to sorority house call
Firefighters responded Tuesday to reports of smoke at the Alpha Xi Delta sorority house.
Capt. Chris Wilson, from Huntington Fire Department Station No. 2, said five fire trucks arrived at the house at 1:48 p.m., after receiving a call claiming there was smoke on the second floor.
“The girls that live at the sorority house smelled smoke, called 911, and got everybody out and did everything they were supposed to do,” Wilson said.
After using a thermal imaging camera to determine if there was fire in the building, the firefighters determined there was only smoke. Wilson said they found the source was a heating and air unit on the roof. The belt that turns the fan in the unit had melted and was blowing smoke into the house.
The firefighters then cut off power to the unit and told them to open the windows and call a heating and air technician.
Sarah Stiles, president of the sorority, said that 31 girls live in the house. They practice fire drills once a month in order to know evacuation safety.
Maggie Smith can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care