Firefighters respond to sorority house call
Firefighters responded Tuesday to reports of smoke at the Alpha Xi Delta sorority house.
Capt. Chris Wilson, from Huntington Fire Department Station No. 2, said five fire trucks arrived at the house at 1:48 p.m., after receiving a call claiming there was smoke on the second floor.
“The girls that live at the sorority house smelled smoke, called 911, and got everybody out and did everything they were supposed to do,” Wilson said.
After using a thermal imaging camera to determine if there was fire in the building, the firefighters determined there was only smoke. Wilson said they found the source was a heating and air unit on the roof. The belt that turns the fan in the unit had melted and was blowing smoke into the house.
The firefighters then cut off power to the unit and told them to open the windows and call a heating and air technician.
Sarah Stiles, president of the sorority, said that 31 girls live in the house. They practice fire drills once a month in order to know evacuation safety.
Maggie Smith can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- COLUMN: As technology advances, so should privacy legislation
- Burying the blue dress means not talking about the blue dress
- Connecting your future
- Politicians to discuss sociopolitics at Tri-state Organization Conference
- Sex and Politics brings a crowd
- The living dead to be spotted on campus
- Herd men’s soccer plays Charlotte 49ers to draw
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”