Financial aid leads workshops for tentative graduates
Marshall University’s financial aid office will host student loan workshops Monday through Wednesday for tentative December graduates.
There will be three workshop sessions each day beginning at 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. in Drinko Library, Room 349. Each session will last one hour.
Presentations at the workshops will cover loan repayment plans, consolidation and loan forgiveness plans. The workshops will also give students a chance to complete exit counseling that they are required to finish after they graduate.
Kelly Tyda, financial aid counselor, said she believes the exit counseling students are required to complete when they graduate can be time consuming and there are parts that can be confusing.
“With the workshops students are able to get help and complete the exit counseling,” Tyda said. “It’s a good learning experience.”
There are only 28 spots available in each session. Students are encouraged to come early before they fill up.
According to Tyda, with the default rates being as high as they are, the financial aid office is aiming to do as much as it can to educate students on loan repayment.
“In the past when there weren’t as many students they used to do in-person exit counseling, but then they shied away from it,” Tyda said. “We’re trying to bring that back.”
Tyda has high hopes for the counseling and said she wants things to be easy for the students when they graduate.
“I want students to be able to find a loan repayment plan that is right for them,” Tyda said.
Students need to bring their social security number, driver’s license, FAFSA PIN, loan history which can be found at www.nslds.edu.gov and contact information for three references.
Participants will have an opportunity to win a diploma frame.
The financial aid office plans to host another workshop in the spring for May graduates.
Alyssa Simon can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- COLUMN: As technology advances, so should privacy legislation
- Burying the blue dress means not talking about the blue dress
- Connecting your future
- Politicians to discuss sociopolitics at Tri-state Organization Conference
- Sex and Politics brings a crowd
- The living dead to be spotted on campus
- Herd men’s soccer plays Charlotte 49ers to draw
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”