Financial aid leads workshops for tentative graduates
Marshall University’s financial aid office will host student loan workshops Monday through Wednesday for tentative December graduates.
There will be three workshop sessions each day beginning at 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. in Drinko Library, Room 349. Each session will last one hour.
Presentations at the workshops will cover loan repayment plans, consolidation and loan forgiveness plans. The workshops will also give students a chance to complete exit counseling that they are required to finish after they graduate.
Kelly Tyda, financial aid counselor, said she believes the exit counseling students are required to complete when they graduate can be time consuming and there are parts that can be confusing.
“With the workshops students are able to get help and complete the exit counseling,” Tyda said. “It’s a good learning experience.”
There are only 28 spots available in each session. Students are encouraged to come early before they fill up.
According to Tyda, with the default rates being as high as they are, the financial aid office is aiming to do as much as it can to educate students on loan repayment.
“In the past when there weren’t as many students they used to do in-person exit counseling, but then they shied away from it,” Tyda said. “We’re trying to bring that back.”
Tyda has high hopes for the counseling and said she wants things to be easy for the students when they graduate.
“I want students to be able to find a loan repayment plan that is right for them,” Tyda said.
Students need to bring their social security number, driver’s license, FAFSA PIN, loan history which can be found at www.nslds.edu.gov and contact information for three references.
Participants will have an opportunity to win a diploma frame.
The financial aid office plans to host another workshop in the spring for May graduates.
Alyssa Simon can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”