Annual alumni awards banquet recognizes success of MU alumni and students
The 77th annual Alumni Awards Banquet took place Saturday in the Don Morris Room of the Marshall University Memorial Student Center. Approximately 300 people were in attendance and 18 people were recognized for their outstanding achievements. Not all of the recipients of the awards were alumni, some were current students of Marshall. Katelyn Daley, junior environmental science major from Vienna, W.Va., was awarded the Nancy Pelphrey – Herd Village Scholarship for her outstanding academic, community and marching band work. “It makes me really excited, and I’m very honored to have received this scholarship because I was not expecting it,” Daley said. “There’s around 300 people in the marching band, so it really surprised me that they singled me out.” President Stephen J. Kopp was also in attendance and said that this is a huge moment of pride for him and the university. “Tonight is a celebration of our alumni and their tremendous successes in their lives and careers,” Kopp said. “We’re here to honor our alumnus and basically give them an update on what’s happening here at Marshall. I think many of them have been around on campus and have seen a lot of the things going on, but there are a lot of things that are going on behind the scenes that we would like to inform them of.”Matt Hayes, executive director of alumni relations, said this is an event that takes a full year of planning, and they intend to begin planning for next year’s alumni banquet immediately following this year’s.“We will assemble right away, find out what went well and what didn’t, and make improvements immediately so that we can begin putting the wheels in motion to make next year an even better experience,” Hayes said. “This evening is the climax, it’s the signature premier event for alumni weekend. It’s our opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments and achievements of so many of our Marshall family members who have gone on from their time at Marshall to do amazing things in the communities where they live and work. They aspire to levels within their career that many folks only dream of. Tonight is all about celebrating those folks.”The Alumni Awards Banquet included entertainment by Gene France along with dinner and the awards ceremony. Malak Khader can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership