Annual alumni awards banquet recognizes success of MU alumni and students
The 77th annual Alumni Awards Banquet took place Saturday in the Don Morris Room of the Marshall University Memorial Student Center. Approximately 300 people were in attendance and 18 people were recognized for their outstanding achievements. Not all of the recipients of the awards were alumni, some were current students of Marshall. Katelyn Daley, junior environmental science major from Vienna, W.Va., was awarded the Nancy Pelphrey – Herd Village Scholarship for her outstanding academic, community and marching band work. “It makes me really excited, and I’m very honored to have received this scholarship because I was not expecting it,” Daley said. “There’s around 300 people in the marching band, so it really surprised me that they singled me out.” President Stephen J. Kopp was also in attendance and said that this is a huge moment of pride for him and the university. “Tonight is a celebration of our alumni and their tremendous successes in their lives and careers,” Kopp said. “We’re here to honor our alumnus and basically give them an update on what’s happening here at Marshall. I think many of them have been around on campus and have seen a lot of the things going on, but there are a lot of things that are going on behind the scenes that we would like to inform them of.”Matt Hayes, executive director of alumni relations, said this is an event that takes a full year of planning, and they intend to begin planning for next year’s alumni banquet immediately following this year’s.“We will assemble right away, find out what went well and what didn’t, and make improvements immediately so that we can begin putting the wheels in motion to make next year an even better experience,” Hayes said. “This evening is the climax, it’s the signature premier event for alumni weekend. It’s our opportunity to celebrate the accomplishments and achievements of so many of our Marshall family members who have gone on from their time at Marshall to do amazing things in the communities where they live and work. They aspire to levels within their career that many folks only dream of. Tonight is all about celebrating those folks.”The Alumni Awards Banquet included entertainment by Gene France along with dinner and the awards ceremony. Malak Khader can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR