New rules having unintended effects
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel met back in May to discuss changes to college basketball’s rules with hopes of improving the game.
Now just over six months later, the negative effects are the ones rearing their heads.
Most notably the monstrous number of fouls called.
The plan was for more points to be scored because the average amount of points scored in games last year was 67.5, the lowest since the 1981-82 season.
That plan has been accomplished and to heights far and above the liking of basketball fans.
So far through three regular season Marshall men’s basketball games there have been a total of 177 fouls called, an average of 59 per game.
It has almost made the college game unbearable to watch.
All those fouls called have led to 232 total free throws between Marshall and its three opponents.
Players can no longer hand check, use an arm bar to slow an opposing player down or slide into position to take a charge after the offensive player has left the floor.
No one expected an easy transition from the old to the new.
I doubt anyone believed it would be this drastic of a problem though.
So many fouls and free throws don’t allow teams to get into a flow during the game.
The start and stop nature needs to end because the college game is suffering due to the new rule changes.
Could players, coaches and officials adjust to the changes over time?
Sure, but for how much longer must we wait?
I don’t think that group wants to continue the season the way it has started, because I sure as heck don’t.
Adam Rogers can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?