Mens basketball to hold Military and Medical Appreciation Day
Marshall University Mens Basketball team will host the Medical and Military Appreciation game Wednesday at the Cam Henderson Center. The game will be a way for the team to give back to those who help the community.
Adam Simmons, assistant basketball coach, said he thinks there is a decent sized crowd anytime Marshall plays at home but the event will bring in more than the usual loyal fan base.
I think anytime you have any appreciation night, our guys take into consideration all they do for our university, for our state and our country, Simmons said. They think very highly of these people.
The team is appreciative of loyal fans and medical and military personnel, Simmons said.
Just like some people think of our guys as role models, on and off the court, I know a lot of our guys actually look up to these medical and military personnel, Simmons said. They see how the things they do on a daily basis impact so many people.
Wednesdays game will be against Rice University and tip off is at 7 p.m.
The Herd is up for a challenge against Rice as senior guard Tamir Jackson averages 16 points, six rebounds, 2 assists and over a steal per game.
Although the Herd has struggled on the road, they have really enjoyed the boost of playing at home and seem to be leaning on the Marshall Maniacs to keep their spirits up, Cory Booker marketing and promotions assistant, said. This keeps the opposition from gaining any momentum while in the Henderson Center.
The game is another way for the Herd to give back to the community, Booker said.
Everything Marshall does in terms of athletic events, for free or at discounted prices, is just to tell the community we havent forgotten about them and we know that they are the backbone of everything we do, Booker said. These discounted tickets and promotions are our way of thanking the community for all they do for us.
Miranda Pemberton can be contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Meet an INTO Marshall student: Anas Alshammari
- The Herd gears up for a new season and new style
- Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup
- Ciccarelli named chief of police
- “America needs to let go of the fear of being politically incorrect and let...
- D’Antoni brings divergent, spread basketball offense to Marshall
- Yeager Scholar applications available
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections