Marshall takes page from popular blog for latest student activity
Marshall University students stopped by the PostSecret table at the Memorial Student Center, Thursday, to enter their secrets into the box.
Each secret was confidential, and handfuls were periodically taken out and posted on a board for everyone to read as they walked by.
This activity is a way to promote student involvement and get anyone on campus to participate, Andrea Cline, a 20-year-old exercise physiology major, said.
She said the PostSecret activity is one that has been done on campus before and they wanted to bring it back.
The popular PostSecret trademark inspired this event and was hosted by the Campus Activities Board.
Frank Warren started PostSecret as a way for people to mail in postcards with their honest secrets that they have never told anyone, and to be able to communicate it. It has grown into a website where new postcards are posted every week, along with several books. The sharing of all the postcards has also been a way for people to find anonymous advice from others cards.
Makenzee Ruley, a 20-year-old criminal justice and biology major, said she sees the activity the same way.
Opening up is not something that is seen as socially acceptable, Ruley, a member of the CAB who helped with the project, said. This exercise is a way for them to have an outlet without feeling insecure about their secrets.
The secrets were open to be anything that students wanted to express.
No matter if the secrets are funny, serious or whatever, this is a way to make it okay to say them, Ruley said.
The notecards containing the secrets could be decorated any way that the participants wanted to, making each one even more personal.
Jessica Ramey can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Relationships more than they seem?
- Recognizing coal mining as the crisis it really is in West Virginia
- Local deli combines art and food for a unique experience
- MLS can fill void with World Cup concluded
- H.A.R.T. continues summer season with the musical ‘Willy Wonka’
- MLB All-Star player selection process flawed?
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Column Germany vs. Argentina
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest