Marshall students react to Cincinnati school shooting
On Monday, a student from Cincinnati pulled a gun in a classroom and shot himself.Officials said the student was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment where he remains in critical condition. School officials said classes will resume tomorrow in hopes of allowing students to talk about the tragic event and to make sense of it.School shootings and random acts of violence are becoming all too familiar across the nation. From the Sandy Hook shooting to the recent Boston Marathon tragedy, it seems as though society has been accustomed to inevitable acts of violence. Schools have cracked down on security in efforts to make schools safer, but keeping the general public safe is a bigger task.Disputes of gun control and questions of whether limiting gun ownership will actually have an impact on the future safety of society are hot topics all over the country.Acts of violence such as these are common and often raise questions of what people can do as a society to prevent disastrous situations, similar to Monday’s shooting.The Huntington community often hears stories of violence and crime that are very close to home.Even though shootings and violence in society cannot be completely stopped, Marshall University students said they, as a student body, can work towards having a community that is less dangerous.Sarah Kay, junior international business major, said personal safety is all about being careful about what you do and where you are.“When you hear about stuff like this, it always makes you put yourself in that position,” Kay said. “Here on campus, you always are hearing about something dangerous that’s happening in Huntington. I think it all comes down to just being aware of your surroundings and being careful about where you go and who you hang out with.”Some think it is crucial to be able to defend one’s self in dangerous situations and it is important to have knowledge about self-defense.Connor Meadows, junior communications major, said he is a gun owner and believes it is essential.“It’s important to own a gun because you are the only one responsible for your own defense in certain situations,” Meadows said. “If you have firearm training from a professional, I would recommend owning one because you just never know when you might need it.”The ability to defend one’s self is undoubtedly important, but the way it is carried out can be controversial. No matter what self-defense tool is available, the most important tool is having knowledge of what to do and how to be safe.Kelcie Coburn can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
- Writing from experience
- COLUMN: Holliday leading revival of Marshall football
- Herd football gets All-Access treatment
- Herd football gets All-Access treatment
- HVZ: Looking for reinforcements
- Marshall University health officials are ready to take on flu season
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”