Huntington needs drastic improvement to improve well-being
The Huntington and Ashland area was recently listed as the second worst city in the United States for resident’s well-being. The only city worse? Charleston. This is the third year in a row the metro area has come in the bottom two of this list.
Well-being is determined by overall satisfaction of residents in an area including physical and emotional health, work environment and accessibility to basic living necessities.
The results stated that the Huntington and Ashland metro area came in last for physical health and ranked highest for work environment.
The results, which were released last week, were determined by phone interviews of more than 300,000 residents across the country. Metro area statistics were determined by results from the U.S. Office of Management and Budget.
Why is this area so consistently lacking in these areas, and what can we, as residents of this area, do to fix it?
If everyone was a little bit happier and cordial to those around them, a difference could begin to be made. However, that is not all it takes
In 2008, Huntington was the unhealthiest city in America, which sparked the first season of Jamie Oliver’s “Food Revolution.”
Fortunately, Huntington has come a long way since then and as of May 2012, is not even in the top ten fattest cities in America.
All of these factors are related. Being physically healthier makes one mentally happier. That, in turn, makes work environments more pleasant.
As students, we are the future, especially those who plan to stay in this area for a while.
If Huntington and Ashland residents were a little bit healthier, they would be a little bit happier. Those two things alone can go a long way in helping a community’s well-being.
As members of a metropolitan area, we should band together to try to make our home a better place, and make a better name for ourselves around the country.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus