HERRION .... we have a problem
As my fellow editors and I were working on Thursdays edition of the Parthenon, I looked at the time and realized that the Marshall mens basketball team had tipped off against Southern Miss just a few minutes earlier. To my horror, Gametracker showed the Herd trailing 36-4 with ten minutes left in the first half. No way, I thought, refreshing the page several times before accepting that there was no glitch or loading error. My beloved Thundering Herd was getting absolutely romped on by the Golden Eagles.
The only bright spot in the performance was that the majority of the Herd faithful was not in Hattiesburg to see the atrocity. For the majority of the first half, the Thundering Herd had more fouls than points and ended the game with a mind-blowing 31 turnovers. After the game, Head Coach Tom Herrion said that it was as disappointing and unacceptable of a performance by my team since Ive been a head coach.
It was that bad.
Its hard to believe that the team that got demolished at USM was the same team that I had witnessed defeat the ECU Pirates by 21 points in a game that wasnt even that close. It was the same team that defeated the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in the Cam Henderson Center in similar fashion the week before that.
It is hard to describe this season as anything but a disappointment. After finishing with a 21-14 record last season, a C-USA championship appearance and the schools first NIT appearance since 1988, many Marshall fans thought that this season would be NCAA or bust. Instead fans have seen a wildly inconsistent team that just cant seem to get it together.
To be fair, the Herd has been excellent inside the friendly confines of the Henderson Center. This season, the Herd is 8-1 at home, having won those games by an average of 13.5 points. The lone loss came against Delaware State by just two points. Outside of the Cam, however, the Herd is an abysmal 1-8. In those losses, the Herd has lost by a jaw-dropping average of 21.5 points.
It wouldnt be as bad if Marshall had a bad squad, but it doesnt. Marshalls roster oozes with athleticism and height. Junior DeAndre Kane was a pre-season All-C-USA selection and Senior Dennis Tinnon is one of the top rebounders in the NCAA. Coach Herrion continued his habit of luring skilled junior college transfers to the program this season in D.D. Scarver and Elijah Pittman, both of which made an immediate impact on the team. This team was supposed to finally challenge the mighty Memphis Tigers for control of C-USA mens basketball, and now it looks like it will take a minor miracle to even finish in the top half of the conference.
So, the question is what will happen for the rest of the season. Coach Herrion doesnt have much time to right the ship. The team travels to the FedEx Forum Saturday to take on the aforementioned Memphis Tigers. But unless C-USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky can be convinced to allow the Herd to play the rest of its games at home, something must be doneand soonto salvage something from this season.
Will Vance can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”