Herd swimming and diving prepare for first meet
The Marshall University womens swimming and diving team will host the West Virginia State Games this weekend. The meet will be held at the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium at 4 p.m. on Friday and all day on Saturday. This will be the first meet of the 2012-2013 season.
The Herd has been preparing since August. They have a rigorous day-by-day schedule each week with practices and workouts.
Freshman Megan Clemens from Cross Lanes, W.Va., had a slight adjustment to do coming from high school last year.
In high school we didnt do as much as we do here. We do a lot of kicking in the water, which is something new for me, Clemens said.
Practice times vary, depending on the event. Clemens, a freestyle swimmer, has early morning practice.
My practice is in the morning at six. We have weights with the strength coaches in the morning too, Clemens said. In the afternoon we have a team practice from three to five.
The head coach, Bill Tramel, is a new addition to the team. Tramel was hired for the 2012-2013 season and has a squad of 28 girls.
Senior Lauren Rone said it took the girls some time to adjust.
Any major change such as a hiring of a new coach will be hard for such a big team but we have been doing really well, Rone said. As weve gotten closer to our first meet everyone has been coming together and I can tell that we will have a lot of great experiences together this year.
Rone, a diver for the Herd, broke a record last year. She had the best 1 meter score in school history (281.55) while competing against Xavier at home. During the C-USA Championships, Rone had the third best performance in platform diving with a 155.35.
Rone wants the team to excel and improve their record this year but said she has a few individual goals she would like to reach during her senior year at Marshall.
I would like to final place top eight in conference in all three events, Rone said. I did this my junior year and it would be awesome to go out that way as a senior as well. I would also like to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
After this weekends meet the Herd will compete against Youngstown State on Oct. 19 at 3 p.m. in the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium.
Kara Kucin can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR