Herd swimming and diving prepare for first meet
The Marshall University womens swimming and diving team will host the West Virginia State Games this weekend. The meet will be held at the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium at 4 p.m. on Friday and all day on Saturday. This will be the first meet of the 2012-2013 season.
The Herd has been preparing since August. They have a rigorous day-by-day schedule each week with practices and workouts.
Freshman Megan Clemens from Cross Lanes, W.Va., had a slight adjustment to do coming from high school last year.
In high school we didnt do as much as we do here. We do a lot of kicking in the water, which is something new for me, Clemens said.
Practice times vary, depending on the event. Clemens, a freestyle swimmer, has early morning practice.
My practice is in the morning at six. We have weights with the strength coaches in the morning too, Clemens said. In the afternoon we have a team practice from three to five.
The head coach, Bill Tramel, is a new addition to the team. Tramel was hired for the 2012-2013 season and has a squad of 28 girls.
Senior Lauren Rone said it took the girls some time to adjust.
Any major change such as a hiring of a new coach will be hard for such a big team but we have been doing really well, Rone said. As weve gotten closer to our first meet everyone has been coming together and I can tell that we will have a lot of great experiences together this year.
Rone, a diver for the Herd, broke a record last year. She had the best 1 meter score in school history (281.55) while competing against Xavier at home. During the C-USA Championships, Rone had the third best performance in platform diving with a 155.35.
Rone wants the team to excel and improve their record this year but said she has a few individual goals she would like to reach during her senior year at Marshall.
I would like to final place top eight in conference in all three events, Rone said. I did this my junior year and it would be awesome to go out that way as a senior as well. I would also like to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
After this weekends meet the Herd will compete against Youngstown State on Oct. 19 at 3 p.m. in the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium.
Kara Kucin can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Catch up with Ketchum
- Maggie’s Lemonade Stand to be set up on MSC Plazas
- Bike thefts on the rise across campus
- New Red Cross app to help save lives
- Housing and Residence Life invites students to show their style
- The U2 Invasion: The new and improved type of advertising
- Risk of cold increases as temps decrease
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center