Herd swimming and diving prepare for first meet
The Marshall University womens swimming and diving team will host the West Virginia State Games this weekend. The meet will be held at the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium at 4 p.m. on Friday and all day on Saturday. This will be the first meet of the 2012-2013 season.
The Herd has been preparing since August. They have a rigorous day-by-day schedule each week with practices and workouts.
Freshman Megan Clemens from Cross Lanes, W.Va., had a slight adjustment to do coming from high school last year.
In high school we didnt do as much as we do here. We do a lot of kicking in the water, which is something new for me, Clemens said.
Practice times vary, depending on the event. Clemens, a freestyle swimmer, has early morning practice.
My practice is in the morning at six. We have weights with the strength coaches in the morning too, Clemens said. In the afternoon we have a team practice from three to five.
The head coach, Bill Tramel, is a new addition to the team. Tramel was hired for the 2012-2013 season and has a squad of 28 girls.
Senior Lauren Rone said it took the girls some time to adjust.
Any major change such as a hiring of a new coach will be hard for such a big team but we have been doing really well, Rone said. As weve gotten closer to our first meet everyone has been coming together and I can tell that we will have a lot of great experiences together this year.
Rone, a diver for the Herd, broke a record last year. She had the best 1 meter score in school history (281.55) while competing against Xavier at home. During the C-USA Championships, Rone had the third best performance in platform diving with a 155.35.
Rone wants the team to excel and improve their record this year but said she has a few individual goals she would like to reach during her senior year at Marshall.
I would like to final place top eight in conference in all three events, Rone said. I did this my junior year and it would be awesome to go out that way as a senior as well. I would also like to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
After this weekends meet the Herd will compete against Youngstown State on Oct. 19 at 3 p.m. in the Frederick A. Fitch Natatorium.
Kara Kucin can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections