Herd stays hot over spring break
For the girls of the Marshall softball team spring, break was anything but a break.
The Thundering Herd played nine games in a seven -day stretch including a six game road trip to start off the spring break week.
The Herd started its road swing in Memphis, Tenn., sweeping Conference USA foe Memphis, Tenn. in three shutout games by scores of 1-0, 1-0 and 6-0.
Marshall remained in the Volunteer State to take on Lipscomb and Belmont. The Herd split a pair of games with Lipscomb before capping off the trip with an 11-7 victory of the Bruins of Belmont.
It was a great road swing, said Marshall head coach Shonda Stanton. To be able to take five out of six on the road is huge. A lot of different people got involved, and a lot of different people stepped up.
The Herd then returned home for a three-game series against the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
Game one remained close, but the Blazers were able to outlast Marshall, handing the Herd a 3-2 loss.
We werent able to play to our strengths because we didnt hit or even draw any walks, Stanton said. Our plate discipline was extremely poor. We didnt have any quality at-bats.
Game two was not so close. UAB dominated Marshall in the most lopsided game of the series taking the game in five innings 8-0.
For us, that was one of the catchers in the league that we felt we were able to run on, and defensively they are a team that makes mistakes, Stanton said. When you cant put the ball in play and you have two hits in one game and four hits in another game you arent going to be able to play to your strengths, Stanton said.
In the final game of the series, Marshall fell behind 3-0 in the first inning before rallying to tie the game at three in the bottom of the fourth. The game then turned into a pitchers duel until the top of the seventh when UABs Kristen McGrath hit her second homerun of the game giving the Blazers their final lead of the game at 4-3.
The sweep drops Marshall to 5-4 in C-USA play and marks the first time this season the Herd has been swept in a series.
It was just a combination of us not being able to play to our strength really hurt, and if were going to compete in Conference USA, we have to put up more runs, Stanton said. Thats been a problem for us all year. We know what our offensive numbers need to be. We just havent got the job done.
After the brief home stand with UAB, the Herd will return to the road as it will head to El Paso, Texas for a three game series with the UTEP Miners.
We just played nine games in seven days so that was a lot so I know some of our girls were a little bit fatigued, Stanton said. Its nice to get a little time off to prepare for UTEP.
Gameplay between the Herd and Miners gets underway at 4 p.m. Friday.
Jarrod Clay can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses