Herd out-muscles Eagles 70-67
Marshall downed the Morehead State Eagles 70-67 inside the Cam Henderson Center on Wednesday night.
The Thundering Herd overcame a struggling offensive effort in the first half of the 94th I-64 rivalry to earn its fourth victory of the year.
Marshall scored its lowest first half total of the season with 24 points before a crowd of 5,877.
The Thundering Herd offense had trouble finding a spark early on, managing only to shoot 9-24 from the field and 0-11 from three-point range in the first half.
Dennis Tinnon led the way for the Herd with a double-double performance, finishing with 12 points and 16 rebounds. D.D. Scarver led Marshall in scoring with 17 points, 12 of which came from the free throw line.
A spirited Herd crowd helped boost momentum for the Herd toward the end of the first half when DeAndre Kane hit two consecutive free throws after a previous air ball attempt. The Herd went into the locker room with a 24-23 lead over the Eagles.
Despite the sloppy performance, Marshall Head Coach Tom Herrion said he was pleased with his teams tough-spirited win.
Im thrilled with this win, Herrion said. I love grinders. Those are the type of games you get a lot better in.
Herrion said aggressive defense and advantageous rebounding fueled the win over Morehead State.
We hung our hat on defense tonight, Herrion said. You can win when you defend and rebound.
Marshall out-rebounded Morehead 53-45, 24 of which were offensive.
DeAndre Kane found a way to fill up the stat sheet, even though he had a tough shooting performance from the field. Kane shot 5-20 from the floor, finishing the game with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
Kane said the uncharacteristic offensive performance was a result of a valiant effort by the Morehead State defense.
Give them credit, they were aggressive, Kane said. We had a lot of open shots that we missed.
Marshall could not seem to put Morehead State away toward the end of the contest, allowing the Eagles to cut a late seven-point deficit to three with only seconds remaining. The Eagles had an opportunity to send the game into overtime with a three-pointer as time expired, but came up short.
Herrion said he enjoyed the competitiveness of his team to overcome a physical Morehead State unit.
Theres nothing wrong with winning ugly, Herrion said. I just wanted us to battle. There were some grown men in there tonight.
Marshall will be back in action Saturday at the Cam Henderson to face-off against UNC-Wilmington. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.
Lake Morehouse can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”