Herd inept on offense
Saturday nights 69-63 win over a Coppin State squad with one win on the season, only continued to show the inept ability for the Herd to produce offensively. Marshalls last four opponents, Coppin State, West Virginia, University of North Carolina Wilmington and Morehead State have a combined record of seven games under .500. In those four games the Herd has mustered an average of 64.75 per game.
Now if we are talking golf, then shooting a 64 would be a pleasant walk into the clubhouse followed by a cold one.
However, that is not the circumstance.
The Thundering Herd shot a dismal 12-38 from the field in the first half, including 2-16 from three-point range.
The Herd struggled mightily throughout the contest to finish around the basket, missing double-digit shots in the paint.
We still can not put the ball in the basket around the game, Head Coach Tom Herrion said. Its just killing us early in the game.
Marshalls inability to finish looked like a couple of Parthenon staffers trying to make a layup in a game against WMUL and that includes myself.
Maybe it is the struggle to get into a flow offensively that affects other aspects of the game.
Kareem Cantys ineligibility to play this season might have been something the Herd was banking on, but it didnt happen. Herrion has been trying to put together the puzzle with the point guard position as at times five different players have handled the duty, Kane, Chris Martin, D.D. Scarver, DeVince Boykins and Tamron Manning.
DeAndre Kane sits five points away from passing Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach Mike DAntoni for 30th all-time in Marshall scoring. Saturdays game marked the fourth consecutive contest at the Cam Henderson Center the Herd faced an opponent with blue uniforms.
Three positives for the Herrions team; back to dominating the boards, full court pressure zone and 6-6 from the free throw line when it counted.
Marshall is going to need some more positives before it heads Charleston on Saturday for the second time in as many weeks to battle the 11th ranked Cincinnati Bearcats.
Jeremy Johnson can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Relationships more than they seem?
- Recognizing coal mining as the crisis it really is in West Virginia
- Local deli combines art and food for a unique experience
- MLS can fill void with World Cup concluded
- H.A.R.T. continues summer season with the musical ‘Willy Wonka’
- MLB All-Star player selection process flawed?
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Column Germany vs. Argentina
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age