Festival attracts famous composer
More than 300 high school students attended Marshall Universitys 12th annual high school band festival in Smith Music Hall where famous composer Robert Smith conducted the top band.
Steve Barnett, the Director of Bands, has been in charge of arranging and coordinating the festival for the past ten years.
Its a pretty big deal for high school kids to come to a college campus, Barnett said. And for us it is one of our most important recruiting efforts. I feel that it really helps promote music education in the tri-state area and region.
The festival started Thursday at 4 p.m. with the students auditioning in front of the music faculty in order for them to be placed in one of the three bands. Smith conducted the John Marshall Band, the top band at the festival, Mark Hardman conducted the Thundering Herd Band and Doug McCullough conducted the Marcos Marauders Band.
Music is the most powerful of all the languages, Smith said. And because of it, I can make meaningful relationships with these students even though we are not of the same generation. Without music, I would just be some old guy talking to them and they wouldnt even give me the time of day.
Smith has taught for 36 years, with over 600 publications in print and has conducted bands on almost every continent. He currently teaches and coordinates the music industry program at Troy University in Troy, Ala.
The students rehearsed Friday and Saturday in order to prepare for each bands concert Saturday. The Marcos Marauders Band preformed first at 4 p.m. and was followed by the Thundering Herd Band at 4:45 p.m. and the John Marshall Band at 5:30 p.m.
The concert is the most enjoyable part for me, Hardman said. I love to perform and I love the performance. Its where I tend to do my best.
Hardman has been the Director of Bands at George Washington High School in Charleston, W.Va. for 16 years. He says he finds himself very lucky to do what he loves to do for a living, and he would do more festivals but he devotes most of his time to his own group.
Like Hardman, McCullough said his favorite part of the weekend is the concert because the students are able to show their parents how hard they have worked in such a short amount of time.
I felt honored when Barnett ask me to conduct one of the bands at the festival, McCullough said. Several of these students come from really small band programs and being able to play in a band of this size is a once in a life time experience for them.
McCullough has taught for 26 years at Beavercreek High School in Dayton, Ohio.
Seniors in the bands where also given the opportunity Friday to audition for a place in the music department and in the marching band.
Josephine Mendez can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR