Etiquette dinner teaches students professionalism
The Marshall University Career Services department gave students an insight to a different side of a job interview, the rights and wrongs of proper etiquette at the dinner table.
The Spring Etiquette Dinner was a part of Career Services professional development programs and was designed to give juniors and seniors final polishing to the interview training that is needed for their first job opportunity.
Denise Hogsett, director of Career Services, said she was pleased with the number of students who attended.
Over the past years, this was the largest group of students we have had come out to the etiquette dinner, Hogsett said.
Roughly 90 students attended the etiquette dinner, including Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity members.
Shaun Wagner, junior finance and accounting major and Alpha Sigma Phi President, said the night was about bringing his brotherhood together.
We decided to come as professional opportunity for our fraternity because we thought it would be useful to learn how to use proper etiquette at a dinner setting, Wagner said. This was also a great brotherhood opportunity.
Terri Thompson, reinvention expert and etiquette consultant for Etiquette in Action in Paris, Ky., attended the event and taught students the proper etiquette techniques.
Thompson has helped thousands of college students around the nation develop professional poise, confident communication skills and personal polish.
Thompson has been a feature in the Spring Etiquette Dinner with Marshall for five years.
Terri loves the college population and although she does do other audiences such as weddings and businesses, college students are her main focus when teaching proper etiquette techniques, Hogsett said.
The dinner was a four-course meal and included soup, salad, entre and dessert.
Students were expected to dress in professional attire.
Marshalls Lewis College of Business 200 class required students to attend the dinner as a part of the course.
Aaron Hanna, sophomore accounting major, was one of those students in attendance.
This was a great opportunity for me and my future, Hanna said. I got to spend time with friends and the food was great also.
We want juniors and seniors to be able to have experience and knowledge about every different type of skill there is to need when going into their first job interview, Hogsett said. We think that proper etiquette is an important skill to have in not only job interviews, but also special events such as weddings and client meetings. Its important in many situations students are faced with in life.
Haylee Roberts can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- COLUMN: As technology advances, so should privacy legislation
- Burying the blue dress means not talking about the blue dress
- Connecting your future
- Politicians to discuss sociopolitics at Tri-state Organization Conference
- Sex and Politics brings a crowd
- The living dead to be spotted on campus
- Herd men’s soccer plays Charlotte 49ers to draw
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”