Deer season should be extended
Judging from the carcasses slung over hoods and lying in truck beds around the mountain state, it would seem that the white-tail deer population is well under control.
This could not be further from the truth.
According to National Wildlife Research Center scientist Kurt VerCauteren, there are more white-tail deer in the U.S. today than there were before Columbus discovered America. The estimated 32 million deer (including white-tails and the western mule deer), is an 800 percent increase from the mid-1950s. Other common, hunt-able animals such as raccoon, beaver and wild turkey, have seen even more dramatic population growth of over 1,500 percent in that same time span.
The problem is particularly palpable in West Virginia. West Virginia topped State Farm Insurance’s list of states in which a motorist is most likely to hit a deer, putting the odds at one in 41 with the average repair bill costing around $3,000.
While a large deer population isn’t much of a threat (except to motorists), a large population of prey naturally results in an increase in apex predators such as wolves, grizzly bear and cougars. Though the first two have never been an issue in West Virginia, cougar sightings have spiked in recent years.
The obvious solution is to kill the deer. Last season, West Virginia hunters harvested 131,444 deer, but this is not enough.
West Virginia needs to extend hunting season, particularly the firearm season. In 2013 firearm season opened Nov. 25 and will run through Saturday. Beginning the season a week earlier would give hunters more time to thin out deer populations that have been inflated by protection as well as more abundant food provided by human intervention.
An earlier season would also give hunters a better opportunity during the height of the rut, deer mating season.
The rut is favorable for hunters because it encourages movement in deer, particularly the bucks that are most sought after. Any hunter will tell you that if the deer aren’t moving, it is a lot more difficult to have success.
For those out there who abhor the thought of a hunter shooting poor Bambi, consider this. If a hunter does not kill a deer, it’s most likely cause of death will be being hit by a car or starvation.
Beginning firearm season in West Virginia would be a win for hunters, deer populations and the state.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Meet an INTO Marshall student: Anas Alshammari
- The Herd gears up for a new season and new style
- Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup
- Ciccarelli named chief of police
- “America needs to let go of the fear of being politically incorrect and let...
- D’Antoni brings divergent, spread basketball offense to Marshall
- Yeager Scholar applications available
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections