Civil rights documentaries begin in Drinko Library
Two documentaries that are part of a national program to stimulate conversation about the civil rights struggle in America will be shown starting Monday.
The screenings are a part of the “Created Equal: America’s Civil Rights Struggle” program. The program is part of a grant that allows 473 institutions around the country to screen four documentaries.
The first documentary, “The Abolitionists,” will be shown Monday in the Drinko Library Auditorium from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. On Tuesday, “Slave By Another Name,” will be shown at the auditorium at the same time. Attendance to the screenings is free and open to the public.
“Both of these films shed a lot of light on American history,” Chris Hodge, library technician and planner of the event, said.
On Wednesday, Dr. David J. Trowbridge, director of the African and African American Studies program at Marshall, and Burnis Morris, Carter G. Woodson Professor of Journalism and Mass Communications, will be joined by Sylvia Ridgeway to lead a discussion related to civil rights in America.
Ridgeway, who is a Huntington resident and Marshall alumna, is the president of the West Virginia Chapter of the National Association of the Advancement of Colored People. The discussion will be held in the Drinko Auditorium from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m.
The discussion will be immediately followed by a public reception in the Drinko Library Atrium. Students, faculty, staff and people from the community will have the opportunity to interact and chat about the importance of civil rights in the United States. Marshall University Libraries will be providing beverages and light refreshments.
Shannon Stowers can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus