Career Services braces for Career Expo with preparatory events
It is that time of year again, the last stretch of the spring semester, when students begin the search for summer internships and job opportunities to find what career they want to pursue.
Marshall University Career Services is preparing for next week’s Career Expo with pre-expo events happening this week.
Career Services will have a Resume Doctor Thursday and Friday and an Expo Prep Open House April 1, where students can get advice on how to be successful at the Career Expo, April 2.
The Resume Doctor will help students prepare for the Career Expo with help on resumes, a thirty second commercial and how to work the expo.
The Expo Prep Open House will also provide resume help with printing on professional resume paper and tips on achieving success at the Career Expo.
Deborah Stoler, assistant director of development and outreach in Career Services, said the events offer networking opportunities.
“This is an incredible networking opportunity for those students seeking internships or about to enter the full-time workforce,” Stoler said.
More than 80 companies, representing different industries, will be represented at the Career Expo next week.
“Students can make great contacts and collect business cards that may benefit them now and in the future,” Stoler said.
The event will offer full-time, part-time and internship employment opportunities in healthcare, management, IT, sales, financial services, state and federal government, law enforcement and corrections, non profit and many other fields.
Denise Hogsett, Career Services director, said the event will give students opportunities in the workforce.
“This event is a wonderful opportunity for students seeking entry level or relevant internship positions to network with a room full of potential employers,” Hogsett said.
Stoler said students should dress professionally, as if going to an interview, and bring multiple copies of their resume to give to employers.
Something new to the Career Expo will be a free photo booth where students can take a head shot photo to use as a professional image.
All photos will be uploaded to the student’s JobTrax account and can also be used for LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts that could be accessed by employers during the employment process.
Professional dress is strongly encouraged for the photo.
The Resume Doctor will be in the Memorial Student Center lobby Thursday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Expo Prep Open House will be in the Career Services building, April 1 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Career Expo will be in the Memorial Student Center, April 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Haylee Roberts can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Marshall library celebrates Hispanic Heritage
- Don’t dominate to assert yourself
- COLUMN: The thin line between a prank and animal cruelty
- Child’s play isn’t simply pink and blue
- Marshall volleyball beats FIU
- Shaheen and LeMay to read from their work at Visiting Writers Series event
- SRC helps students avoid a midterm meltdown
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections