Board of Governors approves construction of new indoor athletic facility
The Marshall University Board of Governors has approved the contract to approve construction of a new indoor athletic facility.The $16,350,000 contract will build the structure that will house a 120-yard turf field surrounded by a 300-meter track. It will also include a new Hall of Fame, a state-of-the-art student-athlete academic center and a Sports Medicine Research Center, according to a press release.“It’s huge, huge for the entire athletic department,” Marshall Head Football Coach Doc Holliday said during spring practice Thursday. “Give [Marshall Director of Athletics] Mike Hamrick a lot of credit for getting done what he’s been able to get done with the economic conditions that are out there.”“Recruiting is the name of the game, and kids buy with their eyes.” Holliday said. “When they walk in and see the nicest indoor facility in the state, and the nicest facility in our conference, it can make a big difference.”The indoor facilities are the second phase of the Vision Campaign, with the first phase being the Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex, which is already being constructed on Fifth Avenue.“It is also critical for the entire athletic department,” Holliday said. “The track team will have a new track, the baseball and soccer teams can use it and the entire University benefits from it.”The indoor facilities will account for $20 million of the $30 million Vision Campaign. Currently, $15 million of the athletic department’s goal of $20 million in private funding has been raised, with the remaining $10 million coming from a surcharge on athletics tickets, according to the release.Construction on the indoor athletic facility is set to being within 30-60 days.Will Vance can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Relationships more than they seem?
- Recognizing coal mining as the crisis it really is in West Virginia
- Local deli combines art and food for a unique experience
- MLS can fill void with World Cup concluded
- H.A.R.T. continues summer season with the musical ‘Willy Wonka’
- MLB All-Star player selection process flawed?
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Column Germany vs. Argentina
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age