Board of Governors approves construction of new indoor athletic facility
The Marshall University Board of Governors has approved the contract to approve construction of a new indoor athletic facility.The $16,350,000 contract will build the structure that will house a 120-yard turf field surrounded by a 300-meter track. It will also include a new Hall of Fame, a state-of-the-art student-athlete academic center and a Sports Medicine Research Center, according to a press release.“It’s huge, huge for the entire athletic department,” Marshall Head Football Coach Doc Holliday said during spring practice Thursday. “Give [Marshall Director of Athletics] Mike Hamrick a lot of credit for getting done what he’s been able to get done with the economic conditions that are out there.”“Recruiting is the name of the game, and kids buy with their eyes.” Holliday said. “When they walk in and see the nicest indoor facility in the state, and the nicest facility in our conference, it can make a big difference.”The indoor facilities are the second phase of the Vision Campaign, with the first phase being the Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex, which is already being constructed on Fifth Avenue.“It is also critical for the entire athletic department,” Holliday said. “The track team will have a new track, the baseball and soccer teams can use it and the entire University benefits from it.”The indoor facilities will account for $20 million of the $30 million Vision Campaign. Currently, $15 million of the athletic department’s goal of $20 million in private funding has been raised, with the remaining $10 million coming from a surcharge on athletics tickets, according to the release.Construction on the indoor athletic facility is set to being within 30-60 days.Will Vance can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections