Board of Governors approves construction of new indoor athletic facility
The Marshall University Board of Governors has approved the contract to approve construction of a new indoor athletic facility.The $16,350,000 contract will build the structure that will house a 120-yard turf field surrounded by a 300-meter track. It will also include a new Hall of Fame, a state-of-the-art student-athlete academic center and a Sports Medicine Research Center, according to a press release.“It’s huge, huge for the entire athletic department,” Marshall Head Football Coach Doc Holliday said during spring practice Thursday. “Give [Marshall Director of Athletics] Mike Hamrick a lot of credit for getting done what he’s been able to get done with the economic conditions that are out there.”“Recruiting is the name of the game, and kids buy with their eyes.” Holliday said. “When they walk in and see the nicest indoor facility in the state, and the nicest facility in our conference, it can make a big difference.”The indoor facilities are the second phase of the Vision Campaign, with the first phase being the Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex, which is already being constructed on Fifth Avenue.“It is also critical for the entire athletic department,” Holliday said. “The track team will have a new track, the baseball and soccer teams can use it and the entire University benefits from it.”The indoor facilities will account for $20 million of the $30 million Vision Campaign. Currently, $15 million of the athletic department’s goal of $20 million in private funding has been raised, with the remaining $10 million coming from a surcharge on athletics tickets, according to the release.Construction on the indoor athletic facility is set to being within 30-60 days.Will Vance can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Basketball opens new season with Thundering Herd Madness
- The performing Herd: School of Music and Theatre presents classical symphony...
- Political leaders Herd on campus
- GAME PREVIEW: Florida Atlantic Owls
- MU Greeks make an IMPACT
- H.E.L.P. Program helping raise awareness for ADHD
- Body classifications are wrong no matter what size a person is
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR