Amendment ratification happens after 150 years
Slavery was officially abolished in the United States in 1865 after the ratification of the 13th Amendment.
Well, it was abolished everywhere except in Mississippi. The amendment was officially ratified in Mississippi, Monday 148 years after the end of the Civil War.
What took so long for Mississippi to finally ratify the amendment?
The state thought the Mississippi Legislature already had ratified it. How could miscommunication of this level go unnoticed for so long? Apparently, it was never transmitted to be put on the federal record.
The discovery actually came about in November after a Mississippi resident saw the film Lincoln and became curious as to what happened after Congress made the official ratification.
Who knew President Lincoln could make such an impact on the United States more than 100 years after his presidency?
Even though slavery was technically abolished almost 150 years ago, they did not initially ratify the amendment until 1995. Even then, since they United States archivist was not told of this ratification, it has never become official until now.
Mississippi is unofficially the state that is statistically worse than West Virginia when it comes to most things, so it is good to know we have one more thing to hang over their heads.
Fortunately, Mississippi has not actively owned slaves since the end of the Civil War, but it is difficult to understand how something like this has gone overlooked for so long.
Let us hope there is not any other state with any other unofficial ratifications hanging out in limbo.
The weird part is that the oversight was not completely unnoticed this entire time.
How could a disclaimer on a website saying the ratification was not official go unnoticed for so long? It is one of those little life mysteries we may never know the answer to.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus