A look into the history of Valentine’s Day
Valentine's Day is celebrated all over the world by millions of people, but the actual holiday originated from the martyrdom of a saint.
Saint Valentine was murdered on February 14th between AD 269 and263. One of the reasons for his murder was thought to have been because of his willingness to marry Christian couples.
"Being Christian was not a crime back then, but not worshiping the emperor was," said John Benson, local chaplain.
Benson said that while marrying Christian couples in church was frowned upon, in his personal opinion he thinks Valentine refused to honor the emperor and that was the main reason for his murder.
Very little is known about the saint. He is buried outside of Rome, the specific location unknown. Benson said it wasn't until the late 1300s that people started relating the holiday to romantic affection.
Many people now celebrate St. Valentine's Day, not as a religious holiday, but as a way to celebrate loved ones. Valentine's Day is often celebrated with the giving of chocolates, cards, and gifts showing affection towards one another.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Relationships more than they seem?
- Recognizing coal mining as the crisis it really is in West Virginia
- Local deli combines art and food for a unique experience
- MLS can fill void with World Cup concluded
- H.A.R.T. continues summer season with the musical ‘Willy Wonka’
- MLB All-Star player selection process flawed?
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Column Germany vs. Argentina
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...