A look into the history of Valentine’s Day
Valentine's Day is celebrated all over the world by millions of people, but the actual holiday originated from the martyrdom of a saint.
Saint Valentine was murdered on February 14th between AD 269 and263. One of the reasons for his murder was thought to have been because of his willingness to marry Christian couples.
"Being Christian was not a crime back then, but not worshiping the emperor was," said John Benson, local chaplain.
Benson said that while marrying Christian couples in church was frowned upon, in his personal opinion he thinks Valentine refused to honor the emperor and that was the main reason for his murder.
Very little is known about the saint. He is buried outside of Rome, the specific location unknown. Benson said it wasn't until the late 1300s that people started relating the holiday to romantic affection.
Many people now celebrate St. Valentine's Day, not as a religious holiday, but as a way to celebrate loved ones. Valentine's Day is often celebrated with the giving of chocolates, cards, and gifts showing affection towards one another.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership