University participates in new software project
Marshall University is participating in a software project to enhance infrastructure in the institution.
The Cyberinfrastructure for Transformational Scientific Discovery in West Virginia and Arkansas, CI-TRAIN, is a collaborative project that includes three universities in West Virginia and five institutions in Arkansas.
"It's an infrastructure project funded by the National Science Foundation," said Tony Szwilski, director of Marshall University's Center for Environmental, Geotechnical and Applied Science.
Infrastructure included collaborative software and high broadband capabilities, such as the Internet2 network, Szwilski said.
"The goal of the (CI-TRAIN) is to continually increase the cyber infrastructure capability," Szwilski said. "Visualization is a major theme. That's a key element in the cyberinfrastructure, which is quickly growing at Marshall."
As part of the project, Jack Smith, associate for the Marshall's Center for Environmental, Geotechnical and Applied Science, presented new software recently acquired called Avizo.
Justin Chapman, graduate computer science major from St. Albans, W.Va., helped Smith in the presentation by operating the software. The software was projected onto a big screen.
"It's a general purpose 3D scientific visualization tool," he said.
The program supports 2D and 3D visualization. It comes in several editions, including Standard, Earth, Wind, Fire and Green. Each edition focuses on a certain area of scientific visuals. Marshall has the standard version.
The software runs on Windows XP, Vista and Mac. To have access to the software, one must have an academic license.
As a demonstration, Smith had individuals put on 3D glasses while showing a model of a body. Chapman demonstrated some of the software capabilities, including highlight certain parts of the body model.
Other institutions have taken notice of this technology.
Smith said representatives form Cabell Huntington Hospital are coming to look at the software.
Smith said the new program will make data easier to understand and more applicable.
"The picture speaks for millions of numbers," he said. "Instead of scouring through tons of numbers, it highlights certain features of data."
Kristen Hainkel can be contacted at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More marshallparthenon News Articles
Recent marshallparthenon News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST MARSHALLPARTHENON NEWS
- Meet an INTO Marshall student: Anas Alshammari
- The Herd gears up for a new season and new style
- Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup
- Ciccarelli named chief of police
- “America needs to let go of the fear of being politically incorrect and let...
- D’Antoni brings divergent, spread basketball offense to Marshall
- Yeager Scholar applications available
RECENT MARSHALLPARTHENON CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections