Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Herd out-muscles Eagles 70-67

The Parthenon

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012 00:11


Marcus Constantino | The Parthenon

Junior guard D.D. Scarver pulls down one of his three rebounds in Marshall’s 70-67 win over Morehead State on Wednesday night. The Herd out-rebounded the Eagles 53-46 enroute to Marshall’s fourth win of the year.

Marshall downed the Morehead State Eagles 70-67 inside the Cam Henderson Center on Wednesday night.

The Thundering Herd overcame a struggling offensive effort in the first half of the 94th “I-64 rivalry” to earn its fourth victory of the year.

Marshall scored its lowest first half total of the season with 24 points before a crowd of 5,877.  
The Thundering Herd offense had trouble finding a spark early on, managing only to shoot 9-24 from the field and 0-11 from three-point range in the first half.

Dennis Tinnon led the way for the Herd with a double-double performance, finishing with 12 points and 16 rebounds. D.D. Scarver led Marshall in scoring with 17 points, 12 of which came from the free throw line.

A spirited Herd crowd helped boost momentum for the Herd toward the end of the first half when DeAndre Kane hit two consecutive free throws after a previous air ball attempt. The Herd went into the locker room with a 24-23 lead over the Eagles.

Despite the sloppy performance, Marshall Head Coach Tom Herrion said he was pleased with his team’s tough-spirited win.

“I’m thrilled with this win,” Herrion said. “I love grinders. Those are the type of games you get a lot better in.”

Herrion said aggressive defense and advantageous rebounding fueled the win over Morehead State.

“We hung our hat on defense tonight,” Herrion said. “You can win when you defend and rebound.”

Marshall out-rebounded Morehead 53-45, 24 of which were offensive.

DeAndre Kane found a way to fill up the stat sheet, even though he had a tough shooting performance from the field. Kane shot 5-20 from the floor, finishing the game with 13 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.

Kane said the uncharacteristic offensive performance was a result of a valiant effort by the Morehead State defense.

“Give them credit, they were aggressive,” Kane said.  “We had a lot of open shots that we missed.”

Marshall could not seem to put Morehead State away toward the end of the contest, allowing the Eagles to cut a late seven-point deficit to three with only seconds remaining. The Eagles had an opportunity to send the game into overtime with a three-pointer as time expired, but came up short.

Herrion said he enjoyed the competitiveness of his team to overcome a physical Morehead State unit.

“There’s nothing wrong with winning ugly,” Herrion said. “I just wanted us to battle. There were some grown men in there tonight.”

Marshall will be back in action Saturday at the Cam Henderson to face-off against UNC-Wilmington. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.

Lake Morehouse can be contacted at

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In